Restoring child's wheelebarrow

The generation has passed through and once again I'm restoring a wheelbarrow my wife had as a child, this time for my grand-daughter.

I can't remember what sort of state it was in 35 years ago and quite what I did, but the paint on the pressed steel container part is now quite badly pitted through to the steel. I don't even know if the paint is oil or not so I have the additional possible hazard of lead being lead there.

The question is what is the best way to strip it back with modern kit ? It's a long time since I did things like de-rusting cars, etc.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Wirebrush on an angle grinder. If you've got acces to one, a sand blaster may be quicker & easier.

NT

Reply to
NT

Yes, available in different levels of coarseness; I'd be tempted to try a couple of different ones to see what works best (I've seen coarse ones make a mess of some kinds of metal - as someone said, depending on how you're going to paint it, that may or may not matter).

That would be even better. Heck, maybe it's the sort of thing where a friendy car restoration shop will be happy to do it for a few beers.

If you've got a compressor, you can always DIY a blaster just to get into any crevices that a wire brush on an AG might like to miss.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

sandblast and powder coat to get that 'factory new' finish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher