Repairing a motor

I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.
Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?
Any input appreciated.
Rick
Reply to
R D S
It would sound like the windings or bushings are burnt out - I would think a re-windng company could tell you if it's the windings.
Reply to
405 TD Estate
R D S explained on 20/12/2007 :
Between £150 to £250 would be my guess. Much cheaper to find a second hand replacement if it is a common size/spec..
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
In message , R D S writes
What type of electric motor?
Does it smell
I think you are prolly looking at a monitor
You haven't really given enough info to make an educated reply
Reply to
geoff
In message , R D S writes
FFS - you haven't even given an idea of size
does it weigh a few hundred grams or half a ton ?
Reply to
geoff
Calm down dear.
It is 5.summat amp, 0.6 hp, approx 5 kilo.
It is made by Bodine and spins at approx 20,000rpm.
Reply to
R D S
So it's a "universal" motor, i.e. one with brushes and a commutator, or, less likely, one fed from a variable frequency power supply.
What's the condition of the brushes and the commutator? Look for any sign of one or more bars of the commutator having burn marks, or chunks out of one edge, or being loose or missing. These are all bad news, and point to an armature fault, but it could just be worn brushes.
Reply to
Autolycus
=A0 London SW
ide quoted text -
Sounds to me that it's most likely the brushes. Open the motor up and check the condition of them, and the commutator (the brassy bit that the brushes sit on). You should be able to buy brushes fairly easily on-line by quoting the motor type/serial number. A motor of this size will almost certainly be uneconomical to rewind.
Reply to
gary.waterhouse
Sounds to me that it's most likely the brushes. Open the motor up and check the condition of them, and the commutator (the brassy bit that the brushes sit on). You should be able to buy brushes fairly easily on-line by quoting the motor type/serial number. A motor of this size will almost certainly be uneconomical to rewind.
******
I'll have a look, cheers.
Reply to
R D S
Probably is worn brushes.
Burned out windings tend to just get very hot, and spin very slowly, if at all.
Whereas poor brush contact means it runs..intermittently,and badly.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Site Timeline Threads