Removing the drum

Hi

in the process of removing the drum on a hotpoint WM71P, but having removed the central nut on the back, the pulley is still stuck fast. It isnt levering off, I cant unscrew it by hand, and cant get in there to wack it, as its porthole access only at the back. How are these sposed to come off? And how can I get it to do what its meant to, given the limited access?

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

These are driven on with a pneumatic drill and only a torque wrench will break the seal.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

oops! forget that,YOU have removed the nut.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You will find all the parts here including the bits you want to fiddle with. It might help with the problem.

EricP

Do you actually know what a torque wrench is?

Reply to
Grunff

Huh?

Have you ever seen or used a torque wrench? In what way would it help undo a very tight connection?

A torque wrench is not a device for multiplying torque, nor is it a device for un-doing anything, tight or otherwise.

It is a device for tightening up a connection to a specified torque, and then stopping.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Do read all the post in a thread.

And yes I do know what a torque wrench is,used one many a time on a car engines bolts where needed.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And have you read my second response to my first?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes, I did read it, and I decided to post my question regardless, because it's still relevant - your suggestion of using a torque wrench could only have been made by someone who doesn't know what one is.

Reply to
Grunff

I thought he was having problems getting the securing nut off and anyone knows that if a nut/bolt thats been put on via pneumatic nut driver will understand it needs a torque wrench to split the seal or a spanner and a hammer to break the seal if you like.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I rest my case.

Reply to
Grunff

Ok smart arse what do you use to loosen a car engines flywheel bolt thats been tightened with a torque of 48lbf ft?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

WTF are you talking about?

Which particular feature of a torque wrench makes it the correct tool for this?

(to save time, I'll give you an answer : some people have a nice long torque wrench and a short normal ratchet handle. The long handle means it's better at getting stuff undone than the short one. However this is a poor use of an expensive tool - far better to use a breaker bar.)

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I have. It's this sentiments in this sentence I take issue with:

That is very incorrect. A torque wrench is not the correct tool to break a tight connection. It provided no additional torque over a regular ratchet-drive or t-bar.

Also, it should not be used for un-doing anything, especially anything tight.

The torque setting is for doing up fastenings, not removing them!

Reply to
Ron Lowe

A socket and either a good quality ratchet or a t-bar , with extenstions as necessary.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

BTW, for 48 lb/ft you could use an old raleigh combi-spanner made from pressed mild steel that they used to give away with their bicycles...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

But why specify a torque wrench? Any long wrench will do...saying "torque wrench" merely clouds the issue.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A socket with a long extension bar.

Clue: long extension bar != torque wrench

Reply to
Bob Eager

My normal ratchet handle.

If you mean more like 148 lb ft, I'd use a long breaker bar.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Any of my ratchets, or if it's really tight, a breaker bar.

At that torque, any old spanner.

A torque wrench looks like this:

raison detre is to allow you to *tighten* a nut or a bolt to a specified torque.

Reply to
Grunff