Removing old wallpaper

Hi

I'm beginning to remove some old wallpaper. The paper is painted anaglypter (spelling?).

First off I'm just ripping it off dry, with the intention of sponging and steaming it off for the next stage.

Underneath the paper is a yellow substance which is patchily coming off with the paper. House is 1900's terrace, I think the walls are plastered with a limestone cement base material.

I'm not sure what this substance is, but to describe it :

- It's almost paint like

- Doesn't cumble and comes relatively easily (mixed with PVA?)

- Don't think it's part of the wallpaper.

- Pictures here:

anybody tell me what this is ? Should I take it all off ? Do I need to reapply similar before painting again ?

Thanks in advance

James

Reply to
tunnygroups

It used to be common practice to paint plaster before papering, especially on outside walls. If you're re-papering, I'd just give the wall a skim of filler to even things up. If you want to paint the plaster, you'll have to get every last bit off. Often you can tap it lightly with a hammer and it flakes off with a heavy duty scraper (the type with the replaceable blade).

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Rub it with a wet sponge and see if it dissolves. Does it have a funny smell like animal glue? If so, it's size. Harmless animal glue, the forerunner of PVA. Same stuff as the early wood glue you boiled in a kettle. Still never beaten for fine woodwork INHO.

Reply to
EricP