Transporting a bath?

I'm interested in moving a second hand iron bath tub from Yorkshire to Brighton. Anyone had any experience of moving such a heavy item using a courier or somesuch? I doubt it would fit through the post office's franking machine.

Any advice welcomed.

David

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5 *

Anonymous

hard on the testicles. I guess that standard courier services wouldn't be terribly keen but if you can get a JCB shifted by low loader it must be possible to make adequate arrangements for an iron bath. Maybe expensive though.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

is local small/light removals in the paper.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

One pair of hands might be safer in future...... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Next time it's a plastic replacement.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

For the bath, or the testicles?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Palletline.

've had a few things transported by them and they've been fine. It something like £50 if you can unload, and £75 if they have to use a tail lift

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They probably won't feel as natural when you cross you legs though... but would deal with any unwanted sprog issues!

Reply to
John Rumm

Wide choice of colours too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I like the ambiguity.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Handy either way if you keep pigs

a page at

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Pattern buffers hate Avocado.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No basic courier will touch it. (35kG limit) You will need an end to end courier, and may expect it to cost upwards of 75 quid.

In many cases hire a van and drive it yourself is cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

double it and you're not even close. a courier will want 80p plm, probably more. leeds to brighton is 257 miles so £210 for the job.

hiring a van is the only cheapest method as long as lost earnings is left out of the equation.

Reply to
.

| snipped-for-privacy@junk.com wrote: |> I'm interested in moving a second hand iron bath tub from Yorkshire |> to Brighton. Anyone had any experience of moving such a heavy item |> using a courier or somesuch? I doubt it would fit through the post |> office's franking machine. |> |> Any advice welcomed. |> |> David |> |> ---------------------------------------------- |> Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5 |> *

Or if you have a small trailer, with towbar on your car, Shove it on the trailer, tie it down *very* *well*, and check the weight is OK for the trailer.

BTW adding a towbar to a car will cost more than hiring a van :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Not a job for a courier company. It's a large, heavy, brittle object that would need to be crated and insured if you wanted to get a courier company to move it.

Personally, I'd hire a transit van and take some mates on a day trip!

Guy, who works for a courier company...

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

Except palletline have a 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m size restriction. Basically what will go 2m high on a 1.2m x 1.2m pallet. I not sure I'd want to upend the bath...

Guy, who still works for a courier company!

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

brittle ? it's a cast iron bath. large ? like two 600k stillages with fork, on fork off ? and what's the point of paying through the nose for £ 20k G.I.T if seperate insurance is required ?

I'll wager that if the OP rings around a few companies and ensures that there's someone at the other end to help unload he will get a quote from a new startup at around £180 or it will be touted out to a subbie as a backload for about £140, if he's lucky.

which one ?

Reply to
.

Exactly.

In the sig

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

brittle ? bollix, it took me 5 mins with a 5lb lump hammer to knock a cast bath into three pieces and it had been in and out of three houses over

100 years and two transit vans /before/ I bought it 10 years ago !

and still no answer about G.I.T and 'additional' insurance, subbing it out as a backload, etc. or, given that Guy works for a courier company, quoting a price to guide the OP as to what he can expect to pay.

Reply to
.