OT: what?s this make of?

Found this on the beach today.

They get washed up on our beaches periodically thanks to all the munitions dumped in Beaufort?s Dyke.
These things turn up fairly regularly and as far as I can see, don?t seem to show much inclination to burst spontaneously into flame but perhaps after 70 years in seawater they?re not what they once used to be.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't know, but someone locally posted a good picture of a (supposedly) WW1 AA shell fuse from their garden (pretty sure it was actually WW2); to be followed later by a visit from the bomb squad.

A friend of mine in Penarth once found an unexploded maroon

lodged in the valley gutter of his Victorian house (they are launched by the local lifeboat to summon crews). Both RNLI and the local police were completely indifferent. The Bomb Squad were however much more helpful, shutting off each end of his road while they retrieved it.

Reply to
newshound

Hmm, from memory (having broken one open previously), it?s like a brownish resin.

They are all this size though with a ?cupped? or ?flared out? end that looks possible partially combusted. Just wondering whether to toss it in the log burner... ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

and stand well back :-)

The "brownish resin" description sounds about right for cordite. I would certainly be tempted to experiment with a small sample in the garden.

Reply to
newshound

Might be useful if you feel a need to assassinate de Gaulle.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was going to mention that too :-). Michael Lonsdale only died last month.

Reply to
newshound

Yes for the short time it takes to be safe, surely its always best to get the experts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Are you mad or just pretending. Round here there was a shell found propping open a door in a new build house while they got the furniture inside. Luckily somebody recognised it as a live incendiary device and called the bomb squad. Apparently it was still viable and the only reason it had not gone off was muck and a slight defect in the fuse. These things often turn up on new build sites when old buildings from the ware were demolished, apparently and should be treated with respect. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa