Re: OT: What features do you want in a new tv (£300ish)?

> We're buying a new tv and don't really know what we want but would

>> obviously like something where the technology isn't out of date in a >> years time. >> We've got about £300 (ish) to spend and are looking at 28"/32". My >> girlfriend thinks 32" will be too big for our living room which is >> 12feet by 12feet! > > If you are spending £300 on a 28/32" TV, then by definition you are going > to buying a CRT model rather than a flat-screen one, so in a sense, if you > will guaranteed to be buying one which is already out of date! In fact > it's getting increasingly hard to find CRT models; many outlets have > already stopped selling them. > > That said, personally I think the CRT models produce a greatly superior > picture anytime, and it's beyond me why people will pay 00's of GBP more > just to get a trendy thin box with a naff picture. cover>. > > Our 32" CRT box is pretty darned huge, even in our quite large living > room, and you may find it OTT for your room. > > Not convinced about the need for built-in digital compatibility; for a > start the cost of digital TV plus freeview box seems to be about 50 GBP > more than the equivalent TV with built-in digital. > > You're probably best taking this to uk.tech.digital-tv, but search the > archives first as this will have been done to death over there!. > > David

We've got a 28" widescreen CRT and that is plenty big enough in our 14 x 12 lounge.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

You could get a reconditioned 28" set for £70, and put the rest in the bank for that HD set in two years time. The little TV workshops, if you can still find one, are stacking them cheap and high.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder