Re: OT Piggin Newsreaders

In article , Frank Erskine scribeth thus

You mean frank_erskine@

or frank-erskine@

Reply to
tony sayer

frank.erskine@

Reply to
Frank Erskine

messagenews:DMQQi.354886$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Excuse my ignorance - this is an area which I'm not knowledgeable about. I just use Google - I know it gets slated but it does work for me. What am I missing ? And what do I do about linking Thunderbird to get newsgroups?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In article , Frank Erskine scribeth thus

Well I have another mail addy tony.sayer@ and it seems fine with that?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Hmm - thanks for that. I'll give it another try some time. It's a long time since I last had a go..

Cheers -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Using a web interface to usenet tends to be much slower, and you lose many of the sophisticated filtering and ordering capabilities of newsreaders. For example to have it switch between views that show you just threads that you have posted to in the past, that have new messages in for example, or to order by date or subject or poster. To kill threads or posters that you don't want to read etc.

Generally a news client makes it much simpler to keep track of multiple conversations you may be having spread across a variety of threads.

There is a secondary problem that occurs from time to time (or at least has in the past) where google break something and then the messages that you post no longer thread correctly etc. Fortunately the google interface seems to have been relatively stable for a while now.

The exact detail depends on your ISP - but basically you need to find the name of their news server (if they have one).

You then go to Tools... | Accounts | Add Account to bring up the dialogue for adding a new account and select "news account". The fill in your details. That will add a account to the left hand tree view pane. You can then right click on the account and choose subscribe. It will retrieve a (probably very large) list of groups available - tick the ones you want.

If you are permanently connected online, you can leave it to just download the headers of the messages. As you click a header it will get the body. For offline use you can tell it to download the message contents as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , tony sayer writes

Done, thanks

Reply to
fred

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Assuming TP can cope with your dotted name & your posting address is valid, I think you may find you've just received an email from yourself posted from TP 6. :)

Reply to
Si

In message , tony sayer writes

Pah! cost me nigh on 30 and I've still got the floppies.

Reply to
Si

In message , tony sayer writes

Where you'll get a very fast response from someone telling you that TP5 is no longer available due to licensing issues but then a nice person such as Tony will suggest you make contact. :)

Reply to
Si

hmmm... it's weird doing this in different software - in TP I know where everything is :-/

Reply to
dialog test name 1

Try it for a bit. I've been using Dialog for a few years (usenet only, not email)- changed from Agent.

Check out

scripts

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Serves you right for buying little blue pills on Ebay.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

ROTFL :-))

Reply to
Frank Erskine

use the news-text.blueyonder.co.uk server that is better

Reply to
djc

:)

Reply to
Si

In message , tony sayer writes

Yep, I use a couple with the name.name format with no problem

Reply to
chris French