Re: OT FOAK: Cast Iron fireplaces

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Grimley_Feindish" saying something like:

I'm reinstating a Victorian fireplace in my front room, one with the cast >iron insert rather than firebrick. The fireplace was opened up to the >builders hearth when I moved in so I've been busy bricking this up to follow >the contours of the insert and form a nice flue etc. What I'm stuck on is >whether I should leave the half inch(ish) gap around the insert and the >brickwork, or back fill it once it's fitted? > >I've been looking about for info and found two general schools of thought, >typically contradicting each other. One says leave a gap, the other says >back fill it with a cement/vermiculite mix. Anybody had any personal >experience or have a knowledge of such things?

uk.d-i-y x-posted

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon