Re: how to seal a "slamfärg"-painted house (for over-painting with latex)?

John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding much

> like they were saying: > Just paint over it every few years...

Do you know whether it would also be possible to use a sealant capable of taking latex paint on top?

It is commonly known in the UK as "Red Lead Paint". Find some more red lead paint and redo it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Red Lead Paint, doesn't really contain lead any more. It is not environmentally acceptable now. So the Rd Lead Paint that they sell today has copper added to it, instead of lead.

The paint you have described has copper added to the solvent / pigment mixture, so sounds very much like the new Red Lead Paint we have in the UK.

Oh well. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I've been to Denmark a lot, Copenhagen, Randers & Aarhus. I'd rather have a bad dose of piles than live there.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As long as it's OK to frown in Denmark. I suppose it's a compromise of facial expressions in the Baltic Region. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

It's now made with copper or zinc oxide additives (so as not to trouble the tree huggers), and was also widely used, when it was actually lead, as a protective coating for almost all surfaces that faced the weather. In fact, the Forth Rail Bridge is being painted with the stuff as we speak, and without the use of any top coatings. That's why the bridge has always been red oxide in colour. So it has not just been used as a metal primer.

May I quote from an earlier post in this thread, Adrian.

"It's a byproduct of the ginormous copper mine at Falun, in Dalarna"

Note the word "copper" in this sentence. The bi-product referred to, is copper oxide, which was found to give very good protection when it was painted on surfaces that faced the weather. Who'd have thought it. Add it to a solvent and a pigment and paint it on. Surface has now got quite a good protective coating to guard it from the harsh elements outside.

-)

Reply to
BigWallop

And the Norse laughed when they did. :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

That is the key to the product. I had refrained from comment previously on this issue. The "paint" is used on many timbered buildings and it is the anti algal and lichen properties that are valued.

Quite a sight, the Falun mine and area thereabout.

Reply to
Clot

I stand corrected. You are probably right. My inorganic chemistry knowledge is very limited.

They do add the oxide to a solvent and heavy starch based pigment, which might also provide some more protection against organic organism attack. Like the bugs that live in seagull poo and things.

Reply to
BigWallop