Re: Getting Paid

> As for payments - no small trader I know of takes cards - it's unheard

> > of. Either cash, cheque or BACS. BACS is quite well liked amongst > > professional traders IME. Best to include BACS details on the quote > > template and proof read it twice! > +1 > BACS is the way to go.

How about Paypal? Cheaper for a small business than cards or cheques?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mitch presented the following explanation :

Make it clear at the outset, that you do expect to be paid up in full the instant the work is complete and that failure to do so will incur a

10% per month levy, plus £20 charge for each extra trip incurred to collect the payment.

Print your terms at the bottom of every single quotation or estimate - two copies and have them sign one copy. If push comes to shove, use the courts.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or save the ink, as it won't be enforceable?

Reply to
GB

That would be an excellent idea. Of course, it would apply to both sides.

The snag with those can be getting the judgment enforced.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

? It forms written evidence of a contract, and given satisfactory performance by the tradesman, it would be enforced by a court. The stated conditions are fair, although they may lose the tradesman some work he might otherwise regret taking on.

If it goes to court, he will also get legal costs awarded. Of course, actually *collecting* may be a problem...

Reply to
John Williamson

No, it falls foul of the UTICCR 99. Also, it's a penalty.

Reply to
GB

I know of a few, and it's far from unheard of. A friend of mine is picking up a lot of business (he does small computer jobs - installing printers etc for people) due to being able to take cards.

Things like

or

I think he uses the latter. Another friend does photography work and uses similar.

People want to pay on card. The company takes

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

CostCo also offer a mobile card terminal.

Or simply don't have a requirement to carry cash. I have 25p in cash ATM, pay for everything via credit card that I pay off every month. About the only time I have cash (max £30) is when I'm working and will be getting lunch from a chippy...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If, by that you mean they make the extra 5% charge only to people paying by card, that is illegal. The Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012 prohibit adding a surcharge that exceeds the cost of the card transaction.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The Regulations allow traders to recover the costs associated with the part icular method of payment, including monthly merchant fees and costs of card terminals etc, as well as the actual transaction fee. Traders can average those costs across transactions to arrive at the fee they charge consumers.

And small businesses are exempt until June 2014.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Even if monthly merchant fees and card terminal fees are charged (I only pay more than the transaction fees if they don't exceed a monthly minimum amount) it is unlikely they will amount to the more than 2% mark-up that seems to be applied here.

To quote guidance from Trading Standards:

'The specific definitions of a micro-business and a new business within the Regulations are quite complex and legal advice should be sought if you believe you may be exempt from the Regulations until 12 June 2014.'

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But who cares?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Trading Standards and the people who report things to them, assuming TS don't just pick it up in a routine trial purchase.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It would make more sense to add it across the board. It then allows a little wiggle room for those asking for discounts for cash etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

A better option to to specify a higher price with payment terms of (say)

7 days from completion, and then offer a discount for immediate payment.
Reply to
John Rumm

I think he meant "Stereotypes".

Reply to