Re: Fluorescent light gave loud crack and then died. Quick advice appreciated.

> Is it an electronic ballast or a conventional one?

> > Electronic, I think. =A0I didn't take a note of what was printed on the m= odule > casing, but it was certainly made by MK. > > > > Is there a starter switch (small cylinder with two pins usually > > replaceable from outside)/ does it hum slightly when on? > > No, and no. > > > ...a variety of potential failure scenarios. > > The most urgent question in my mind is "is it safe to use the light as it > stands?". =A0Even if it is safe, if there's likely to be another general > failure then I'll replace the whole thing. > > Thanks for your response. > > Bert

The fault could be anywhere. Its pointless asking us to take guesses, you'd have to troubleshoot it.

Is it safe? No. Faults like this are a fire risk. Fl fittings are so cheap I'd just replace it.

NT

Reply to
NT

Interesting, NT, that you saying that it's pointless our guessing and then you saying it is a fire risk. The circle somehow doesn't quite make it. I would say that the fire risk is actually pretty low and you are scare mongering a bit. The electronics will be protected by it's own fuse and will not only be encased in a metal box, but will be mounted on a metal frame.

Reply to
robgraham

Agreed low risk, but you have to factor in the downside if there is a fire. If the house is worth say £300k (and assuming no injuries) and a new fitting costs £30, you need the risk of fire to be below 1/10000 over the expected remaining lifetime of the fitting.

As someone whose house had a complete burn-out, I'd buy a new fluorescent fitting, but I'm not convinced that I'm being entirely logical about it.

Reply to
GB

of course. A fault like this could be anywhere in the circuit.

IIRC about 450 people a year die in house fires

just stating a fact.

An 8" ballast isn't likely to be electronic.

electromagnetic ballasts dont usually have a fuse

indeed. That reduces the risk, but it doesnt stop fl lights causing fires.

NT

Reply to
NT

I think you'll find that total is for all fires, with about 350 being house fires - and about 60 of those being deliberate fires (2008 statistics - the latest I could find). Looking at those statistics suggests that relatively few deaths from fires come from the house wiring itself (8 deaths from fires started by electrical distribution, plus possibly some of the 20 caused by 'other appliances') - and replacing dodgy lights like this will help keep it that way. I was amazed to find that the leading cause of fatal fires was still smoking, with over 100 deaths in fires started by smokers materials - and some of those caused by cigarette lighters and matches are presumably smoking-related, too. The other thing that caught my eye was that more than half of all accidental house fires ( though a much smaller proportion of deaths) were shown as caused by cooking appliances.

Reply to
docholliday

The lower number of deaths for cooking vs smoking fires surprises me not at all.

It's quite easy to fall asleep in front of the telly / in bed with a cigarette. Even when drunk it's harder to fall asleep in front of the chip pan. But it's easy to leave it on when the 'phone goes...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ