Electric Showers

Better check your wiring. You need "beefier" wiring for a 10kW shower than for an 8.5kW one. If it is currently fused 30A it is not big enough.

Reply to
Tony Collins

dusty

In article , Mike Ring writes

Better still is a proper pumped shower. You can get a MIRA event for not a lot of money and forget all the grief with electric showers.

No way would I ever have one of those abominations in my house again!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Gainsborough are crap

Reply to
Jampot

"Mike" wrote | I see a major DIY chain are offering 10.8 Kw showers for £69, I'm thinking | about buying one as a replacement for my 8.5Kw shower. My question is | two-fold, is there any noticeable difference in water flow rates between | 10.8Kw and 8.5Kw

Yes, it's about a 20-25% increase. More usefully, a 10.8kW will actually cope with cold incoming mains in winter. Still won't be spectacular flow, but at least it's a warm weedy shower rather than a tepid weedy shower.

| and how good a make is Gainsborough?

As good as you'd expect for something flogged off to a largely unwitting public for seventy quid.

I've had a Gainsborough and I've had a Mira, and I'd definately pay twice the price for a Mira. Or Triton.

However the requirement to upgrade the wiring is probably going to be the big stumbling block.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

tony sayer wrote in news:EK0SMKAg50C$ snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

I _Knew_ someone would jump in and say that - I carefully stayed away from argument and owned up that an electric shower struggles in winter.

Can't you face up to the fact that there are different lifestyles, circumstances, hovels and the OP was not asking the question you answered.

Go and talk to IMM and stop shoing off

Mike R

Reply to
Mike Ring

In article , Mike Ring writes

All right I'll shove of if U like, dunno what shoing off is;-()..

Still stands though. If it were me and I did live in a hovel I'd put a proper HW system in and have my proper shower. Never seem to be able to wake up properly other wise...

anyway as you said 'nuff said||||||||

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer wrote in news:KYWxoiDuNGD$ snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

Sorry about the typo, it was "showing off"

MR

Reply to
Mike Ring

Do you mean you'd buy a Triton rather than a gainsborough, or a mira rather than both? When I got my Aqualung (or whatever 'ts called) back from Wickes and was installing it, the guts of it were branded Triton. Might be worth considering as IIRC wickes have an 8.5 KW one that's also quite cheap.

Reply to
L Reid

I've had a Triton 9.5kW working fine for over a year. It managed in Winter too. You're just an old softy! Besides, don't those pumped things make a terribel noise?

Reply to
Dave

In article , Dave writes

As long as that!, the one we had burnt out its microswitches about once a month..

Softy moi?, nay lad just 'tha needs a good hosing down when 'tha comes opp from 't pit...

Noise?, what noise. Me?, why I was a roadie for Metalica before I went down pit!...

Reply to
tony sayer

"L Reid" wrote | > I've had a Gainsborough and I've had a Mira, and I'd definately pay twice | > the price for a Mira. Or Triton. | Do you mean you'd buy a Triton rather than a gainsborough, or a mira rather | than both?

I think my descending order of preference would be

  1. Mira ) but not a
  2. Triton ) lot in it
  3. Bucket of water heated on a calor gas ring
  4. Gainsborough

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Given all the collective wisdom that there is on this NG,would anyone venture to give personal experiences or views on the following electric showers i.e. good, bad, to be avoided, worthwhile etc:

  1. Triton T90si( 8.5kw and 9.5kw)
  2. Mira Elite 2 (8.5Kw)
  3. Mira Sport (8.5kw)

Many thanks.

K.

Reply to
Sage

Do you really have no stored hot water or a combi boiler in the entire house?

The only reason to fit an electric shower is because you don't have a hot water system. They are pathetic.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They might be, but they are often the only viable option. I normally have a shower and rarely a bath and could not justify the waste in heating stored hot water for a power shower plus I also can have an instant shower which is not possible when you need to heat the cylinder up.

Personally I prefer Mira. The Elite would require a cold water storage tank to feed it though.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We have a 12month old Triton T90Si 9.5kw.

Does exactly what it says on the tin, but at this time of year alittle more flow would be nice,- in hindsight i should have gone for a 10.5kw model, though I expect it wouldnt make a measurable difference though more power is always better :o)

Unless you have "warm" cold water, I wouldnt bother with anything less than

9.5kw.- and wire it with 10mm2 cable to minimise volt drop and get as much power into heating the water as possible.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry