Razor Wire

Is that banned from securing your property at the back ie along backyard wall?

Had a break-in today and all me tools nearly went,they only got away with camera as I must have disturbed them? whilst letting myself in.

TIA

Reply to
George

I see it on high fences etc so it can't be banned. But I'd guess your wall would have to be higher than a person could reach before it was considered safe for this use. Sticking it on top of a 5 ft wall might be considered as a danger to others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wall is about 7' or just over?

Reply to
George

No it is not banned.

You owe a duty of care to anyone entering your land (even intruders) and if they are injured then they may have a claim against you. Their business and intentions on your land, the location of the wire, and any warning signs would all be considered. Whether an intruder cuts themselves on razor wire, barbed wire, a rose bush or a splinter from the fence is all the same.

In any case, your house insurance would normally cover you from any such civil claims.

Put the wire up, and fix some warning signs in a prominent place.

dg

Reply to
dg

I have it along the inside edge of a high wall. It can't be reached unless someone climbs where they shouldn't. Combined with the sticky black paint it's very effective. I found hand prints and part of a jacket one morning. I am considering plugging the razor wire in to the mains next. Burglars deserve everything they get.

Reply to
john

So would the smackhead/scumbag getting a good kicking. Burglars have NO rights, don't forget that. The CPS and Probation Service think criminals have rights unfortunately and the victim is always put last. The more they do wrong, the more they are rewarded. Ask a burglar not to do it again politely and he will laugh, give him a good kicking and he will understand that. Put the wire up, I doubt you will get any complaints!

Reply to
john

Have you been burgaled in the past? reason being if you have how efficiant were the finger print COS plods?

Reply to
George

The laws that give them rights are trespass laws, dating back to times when joe common couldn't really go anywhere much without trespassing. The laws made sense then - with property ownership so widespread and common now, I would say it's time the laws were changed so that anyone who has criminal intent has no right to duty of care.

Reply to
Maria

The Highways Act gives the highway authority (which may be the council) powers over barbed etc wire on land adjoining a highway. I think the practice on that is to accept it if it is over 2.4m. Whether they would take action if it is a bit lower is another matter: I think it depends on whether it is likely to cause injury to users of the highway. And IIRC the onus wd be on them to serve a notice requiring its removal. It used to count in your favour if you put up signs warning people. But I don't know how many languages you would have to use these days. (Are you in Wales?)

Perhaps a word with your local crime reduction officer?

Reply to
Robin

They are as efficient as anyone who can take fingerprints and access a police computer. But whether they want to spend their allocated expenses for the year doing that sort of thing is another guess entirely.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yes, any burglar deserves a kicking. Tip - afterwards take the body and dump it on someone elses land

But don't confuse the civil and criminal courts. A clued up burglar will most likely win a claim for damages in the civil court if the landowner is proved negligent. But for the same incident, no criminal offence may have been committed, so the Police and CPS would not be involved.

dg

Reply to
dg

securing your property at the back ie along backyard

snip

True for burglars etc, but what about little johnny who has just kicked his football over? The law should protect children who often do things without thinking, and without the same malicious intent as a burglar.

dg

Reply to
dg

They are Ok.

It's the *average* plod that is moronic, lazy ad tied up in paperwork.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll state the obvious, since no-one else has... o If you annoy/injure a burglar - he may take revenge

---- vandalism of car, house, you, family

---- bricks to arson to put it bluntly o If you discourage a burglar - they choose an easier target

---- a determined thief WILL get past anything

---- break-&-enter, with a gun, to take car keys

My suggestion would be "plastic wire/spikes" plus anti-climb paint because they truly utterly hate the grease-paints etc. A notice to the effect that anti-climb paint is in use discourages.

Then ensure locks are up to scratch, plus visible ideally. (I mean patio doors with drop-down or slide-over beam).

Then security PIR - although there are 2 schools of thought re they provide a deterrant or they provide sharp shadow places to hide and turn off once someone stops moving vs always-on.

UV spray markers are another idea, personal & fitted. Never seen a fitted one, but it would be useful - next time they go past appropriate lighting they glow & it takes time to get off.

Most obviously have tools where they are not visible and sheds that basically have minimal windows re making entry harder.

Wire that cuts has the advantage of leaving DNA, but that is likely to occur with most methods of entry. Make sure the backdoor can not be kicked in if even remotely secluded, and realise uPVC windows are not exactly strong things.

Not difficult to rig an alarm to dial a phone, or for a mobile to be wired to turn on things internally or turn a car off etc. Just avoid the temptation to link it to a large quantity of TNT.

Now I wonder if a rail gun would come under Part P...

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

Nah! I've superpassed the razor wire and installed recorded message on a looped dictaphone connected up to a louder hailer which are both connected to the passive infared at the back,when set off it emits quite loudly....GET OUT OF MY DAMN PROPERTY YOU PIECE OF SHIT. However the neighbours cat is a pain in the backside for prowling at night. :-)

Reply to
George

Plant a load of hawthorne and lay a hedge. You'll be cursing for weeks after at all the thorns that got through your leather gloves, so burglars will hardly like it ;).

Reply to
Doki

TBH the way it's going to work is razor wire that's obvious on the top of a fence or wall is not going to get you in court. Dig a hole on your side of the wall and fill it with razor wire, and it probably will.

Reply to
Doki

Might Sir be interested in the ES-4 (ESp2250) from Klaxon Signals? The

124dB(A) at 30m output should be ample for all except the largest of gardens.

Record some cat hiss noises on the tape. They'll soon get used to the idea that the PA system is another cat and theyr'e trespassing on its territory.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's no way to greet the postman.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Are you related to dribble? Just because you say something doesn't make it true. The day all rights are withdrawn from criminals is the day civilisation ceases.

The CPS and Probation service only deal with criminals. Not victims.

It would be silly to ask of proof of this, I suppose.

So you assume you are a stronger individual than any burglar - or do you think having right on your side will protect you? For many they might well be the one getting the kicking instead if they tackle a burglar.

I suppose anti-climb paint doesn't fit into your ideal of retribution on anyone who dares climb your garden wall - regardless of reason?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)