rating 2.5mm2 cable on timber

I am inserting an extension into a ring, but am not clear as to how the rating tables apply - see

2.5mm2 cable is to be mounted on timber and/or run through heavy duty 25mm conduit.

Method C specifies which does not mention timber.

Whilst method B does not specify the wall material at all.

Please can someone kindly clarify?

As it is a ring I need to select a method which permits 20A minimum & would not be happy if a larger cable dia is needed.

I have always considered timber to be quite a good thermal insulator, but it has never been clear to me exactly how it is regarded by the iee regs - can anyone explain please?

TIA

Reply to
jim

A door is slightly better than a double glazed window, but not much.

Neither are a patch ion 3" of celotex.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From the Regs: Table 4A2 (single or multicore cable on a wooden or masonry wall)... 'Cable mounted on a wooden wall so that the gap between the cable and the surface is less than 0.3 times the cable diameter....'

Reply to
A.Lee

Whilst that is correct for cables clipped direct to a wooden wall, the reference method that the OP has to use is B as he intends to use conduit for some of the run.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You right it does not. Although method A does mention thermal walls and conduit. I might tweak that article later to make it clearer.

It is worth noting that the wiki article is not a replacement for the regs (due to copyright) and it only shows a limited number of installation methods.

If you have any other question on that wiki article please say as constructive critism of these articles is a good way to improve them. You valid point has been noted.

As to the answer to your question then you need not worry. Even if timber was a superb insulator then you would at worst have to use reference method

102 and your 2.5 T&E is still rated above 20A with this method.

If some of your T&E is through conduit then use ref method B, again still rated well above 20A.

And as Alan ponted out, clipped direct to timber is method C.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, of course, I didnt read the 'conduit' bit. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

"Clipped direct" (i.e. C) applies for the surface run section.

B assumes the wall material is not an insulator.

Its not a particularly good insulator, however the main factor here is that most of the cable is in free space save for the side touching whatever it is clipped to.

Reply to
John Rumm