Rather OT: Bacon Butties

DIY - but not as we know it Jim!

Today we sampled the first batch of our home cured bacon. Excellent though I say it myself. The recent trip of 5 piggies to the abattoir allowed me to hold back 2 1/2 pigs for our own use. We've now got two Parma hams curing (they take 8 months at least!), and 8 kgs of normal ham curing as well as more sausages than you can imagine (80 kgs iirc). The bacon not only tasted superb, it actually looks like shop bought bacon. I made 24 kgs in this batch so no shortage for bacon butties! Another two pigs went off on a one way trip this Monday but the abattoir has a problem with it's chilled transport van, so we won't probably see them back until after the weekend. One and a half are for customers, but the remaining half will be more ham, and this time I'll make some smoked bacon.

Ah ..... the good life! And now the lambs are coming thick and fast

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'll take a (butchered) lamb if you are anywhere within 40 miles of Newmarket !!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Excellent

abattoir

Sorry - more like 140 miles ! (East Sussex)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'll be over for breakfast on Saturday! ;->

Only joking...

How do you cure a Parma ham out of interest?

Reply to
Tim Watts

So have you got agreement from this lot?

The Other Mike

Doak it in Parmalat, or take it to a doctor?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Save me some :-)

Sometimes people ask me if there's anything I miss about England now I'm living in the US - and nice bacon has to be top of the list, I think. The stuff you get here is pretty darn horrible :-(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I wouldn't bother Tim it's not a patch on a good Jamon Serrano Iberico. Don

Reply to
Donwill

You're not missing a lot, english bacon has gone American, white curds oozing out into the frying pan,Yuk. Mind you, Welsh Bacon ( Bacwn Cymraeg) is still excellent :-) . Don

Reply to
Donwill

Reply to
dennis

Seek out Canadian bacon. Some supermarkets sell it. Not quite as good as English bacon, but miles better than the bacon veneer the Merkins seem to like.

Reply to
Huge

That's not American bacon. Merkin bacon is streaky, microns thick and cooks to a rigid consistency which shatters when you attempt to put a fork in it.

Reply to
Huge

Excellent

abattoir

You'd be welcome! As for Parma Ham the answer is long and slow !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It was nice to fry it, and for it not to pour out gallons of watber, and for it to stay the same size! Also rather handy that I can set the slicer to the thickness I like ie THICK !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Spring lamb is seriously over rated because it has little flavour even though it is very tender. If you really want to enjoy good sheep meat then you need to keep the animal until it is two years old and so produces mutton. Unfortunately mutton has a bad name because people associate the name with poor quality meat produced from ewes at the end of their productive breeding life. The latter does however make excellent curry or other slow cooked dishes. If you can't wait for a two year old animal to be ready then a hogget aged around fourteen months makes very goo eating.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

What causes the curds?

And I want to know where the bloody rinds have gone - I liked those!

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

except, unlike the supermarkets, you haven't rammed it with as much water as possible to increase the weight and thus the price the consumer pays.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Huge writes

That's the stuff. More streak than meat and tastes like crap.

Their cheese is awful as well. And their beer.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

message

Excellent

abattoir

produces

animal to be

eating.

Yes I totally agree Peter. Although new borns are popping out with gay abandon it's last years late lot that will go to the abattoir soon.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The polyphosphates it's injected with to get the water content up to increase the weight.

Reply to
Huge