Rat and mouse proofing electric wires

There are rats and mice in the cellar and maybe between floors, how can i p rotect the new electrical cables from them? Straight runs and corners.

I've read that " Mice cannot chew through plastic and this provides enough security for your wires" but i'm not 100% sure of that..

Metal conduit is £3 a meter at screwfix, i guess the galvanised is jus t for looks, if its hidden there must be a cheaper option?

George

Reply to
George Miles

Mice can chew through plastic cable insulation.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's a given. The issue is, can they chew through plastic conduit.

Reply to
Graham.

Probably not unless there was already damage to it that allowed them to get a bite onto it. Once they get an edge or a corner all bets are off.

Essentially they will chew on anything that they can get their teeth around. I'd be much more inclined to particularly rat (and squirrel) proof the space that the wires are in. Then some rodent bait for any mice that venture in. You don't want a dead rat rotting away there!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Mice can't chew through plastic? Would someone please tell the mice that ate my cereals and flour? Stored in plastic boxes, of course. If you can whittle it with a penknife, they can chew through it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The only way to really ensure protection from rodents is to use metal conduit, the galvanising is only for corrosion prevention, so black enamel finish should suffice indoors.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Plastic conduit is different tho, much thicker and much harder to get their teeth into when done properly.

Reply to
543dsa

MICC ?

Reply to
Andrew

Whilst an option in theory, micc is not really a viable diy prospect unless you have the expertise and special equipment required.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Almost anything is a viable DIY prospect IMHO ;-)

Only one way to get the experience, and the tools are not that expensive.

Also if all you need is a couple of terminations, you can muddle through without:

John Rumm