raised letters

got my new debit card today and it no longer has raised letters and numbers...so I guess those old school credit card machines are no longer ? .....much easier to read

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

FFS Jimmy. Twatter is that way >>>

Or at least have the decency to mark your *completely* OT threads as such.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's a valid comment.

How would Brian remind himself what his card number is, if he was giving the details over the phone to someone ?.

In fact how does he read his CVV number even now ?.

He'll be along to tell us shortly ...

Reply to
Andrew

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

At least he will have the decency to post his comment only once rather than repeating the same monotonously for 4years+.

Reply to
bert

They'll have to write the numbers down with a Biro on the form when the Sun flares up and wipes out all the electronics.

Reply to
Max Demian

When buying d-i-y related stuff you mean?

Quite (so your previous was irrelevant).

On Twatter I hope, where such trivia belong.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh you poor, sad left brainer.

See, what has obviously whooshed you is the *massive* difference between Jimmy mistaking this d-i-y ng as his personal twitter feed and

*starting* numerous trivia threads without following the ng etiquette of marking them OT and something that is supposed to be democratic but wasn't and is likely to affect *all of us* to the detriment.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Mine still has them, but they will be phased out. One issue with this is that for a blind user it makes working out the right way around harder if they are flat.Nat West have cut a corner off to fix this problem, I do hope the rest do too. However what they seem to have also done on mine with raised letters is to change more than the last four digits this time. Now I need to attempt to put the new one in Amazon, Paypal, who are already hassling, and my Phone, bah humbug!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I have to actually get read to me each time by a trusted person, this can be done at a main branch if you have nobody trustworthy. Mine is chip and signature and its surprising even though these are legal for us to use, how many shops decline doing business due to this. However despite them being reported to the right authorities the law has no teeth it seems.

Raised or flat letters cannot be read by me, since its not Braille is it? As I said in my original response, mine has them raised, but the security code never was, hence the need for a trusted person. Still its only every so many years I guess. I'd not trust my phone to read the correct numbers since the way they are written is designed to not be very readable by a machine other than theirs one assumes. Too many norty people with cameras on cash machines!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

You do, here!

Most OT threads are at least marked as such.

If *you* like them I am offended! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And what has whooshed T r o l l is that it is he who is treating this ng as his personal Twitter feed, repeating as he does the same content-free bollocks with monotonous regularity.

Reply to
Tim Streater

However, if you want to use a debit card instead of a credit card to hire a car, some companies won't accept the ones without raised letters (it is specifically noted).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker
<snip>

Bwhahahaha ... at least *NONE* of what I post isn't directly forwarded from Twatter, as per this Squeaker Goblin!!! (as it can't think for itself)!!!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A r e y o u o n y o u r p e r i o d T i m ?

Reply to
Graham.

The mere fact you ask such a thing says all about you we need to know (thanks).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, they can use the old telegraph for comms,[1] but the number of abacus operators in the back end systems will be unbelievable.

[1] Does anyone know if we have a strategic reserve of thermionic devices?
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Almost every home still has a thermionic device - a magnetron. Glass valves are getting ever fewer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've got several vacuum fluorescent displays, which are (multiple) triodes. They are glass.

Reply to
Max Demian