Putting up house number tiles on a brick wall

Friends have brought us back from Majorca two 6"x3" tiles with our house number on, plus two 1"x6" side strips. The tiles are unglazed on the back. What's the best way to put them up on the front of the house on a brick wall? Thanks, Pete

Reply to
goodolpete

The cheapskates forgot to buy the frame that these tiles are meant to be mounted in.

Reply to
The Truth

Fast setting mortar. Around £3.50 for a small, ready mixed bag.You'll also need a few lengths of wood to wedge the numbers in place while it sets. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

SNIP

Thanks for your reply. Do I just slap it on the back of the tiles? How do I use the few lenghts of wood? Pete

Reply to
goodolpete

Mortar

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, if you plonk the tiles on the wall with mortar, they'll either (at best) slide down a bit and end up c*ck-eyed, or (at worst) fall off completely. So you need to take their weight off while the mortar sets.

One easy way of doing that (which I presume is what was intended) would be to get a plank of wood which is somewhat longer than the height of the tiles is off the ground, and lean said plank against the wall, at the height you want the tiles. Then you can just sit the tiles on top of the end of the plank until the mortar is set.

For maximum effect, depending on how sticky the mortar is in practice, you might want to lean a second, slightly longer, plank against the actual tiles in similar way, which will hold them to the wall as the stuff sets.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Why not Gripfill type stuff, to do the basic fixing in the centre, then mortar around the edges once it is fixed and set?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Car body filler

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Mount them on a board then buy picture framing or take them somewhere to get them put in a frame or buy a cheap frame and put them in it yourself ..don't think you'll need the glass but it's your choice .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Agree with that. Used it to stick back the odd ridge tile and various other repairs. Used to use plastic padding type hard which I think then became chemical metal and then something else. Comes in red and yellow. Large tube or can and smaller tube of hardener. Best used in a ventilated area.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Why? I often use it indoors and haven't noticed any warnings on the tin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Styrene does pong a bit

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Does PP not have the Black X marking on the tin? It's a while since I have seen a tin

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Reply to
goodolpete

Mortar if you like them, otherwise nails?

How?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Epoxy. You will not ever get them off intact.

Reply to
Roger Dewhurst

Hi, I use a small pack of w/c pan cement with some sand added in not move in Menorca over looking the sea for 10 years

url:

peter richards