Problem with flag pointing

I have quite a lot of flagging, and the pointing was flagging (;-)). so last summer I scraped out the problem areas and re-pointed, now, already it is a mess. What have I done wrong, I made a 3:1 mix. the main problem is that the new pointing has "blown" leaving a flaky mess. Any pointers please as to where I may have gone wrong, or recommendations for the future? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Rake out deep. Wait for a dry day and brush 4:1 sharp sand : cement dry mix over as a fair heap until all filled and brush faces clean. Lightly water with watering can fitted with a rose sprinkler. Rub each joint in with a rubber of your choice. I use 18" of 20 or 25 mm blue mdpe pipe as it has a bit of flexibility and doesn't need to much bending down at that length.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I prefer to add water (but not much) to the mix first, otherwise it tends not to reach the deeper parts

Reply to
stuart noble

But then you risk marking the face of the flags - the dry mix tends to draw moisture from below as well as what you sprinkle.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

True enough. I found a mild acid (citric IIRC) washed off cement stains quite effectively

Reply to
stuart noble