powerline LAN/WLAN extension

ISTR the BBC report (which was a while ago) basically said, yes there can sometimes be a problem with interference from powerline stuff, but not always.

But it didn't really have an answer as to why sometimes there was a problem and not others

Reply to
Chris French

Are there many still building kit and learning about electronics or do most simply pass an exam then buy a sophisticated box with Kenwood, Icom ,Yeasu on the front. If the latter then what is called "Ham radio" is now a minority Hobby which can't really expect to have almost exclusive use of parts of the radio spectrum anymore when a greater number of people will benefit by using it for other purposes. There was probably an argument in the days when such people were experimenters and pushing the boundaries of radio communicating with new developments and techniques but the chance of somebody coming up with something revolutionary now is fairly unlikely. Bit of a broad statement and will probably upset some but just as Reliant 3 wheeler drivers are best treated as they will soon do something daft along with cars exhibiting a fish symbol on the back then people who take up amateur radio often show tendencies of OCD.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It does depend on where and how close to the transmitters you are. If you have a strong signal, no problems but if its not quite so powerful then you do and you may not realise it...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , damduck- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribeth thus

Theres not that much spectrum located to Amateur radio use and that what is, is used in the main quite well.

Theres quite a bit spare but it tends to be on frequencies that are not that much use for mobile phones and such applications.

UK VHF Low band 30 to 80 MHz comes to mind and areas around 136 to 155 odd.

The military have quite a bit around 230 to the upper 300's odd..

As maybe but it does encourage some to take up engineering subjects which is perhaps better than mejia studies and the History of f'art

Reply to
tony sayer

I had a similar setup, without the daisy-chain, and it worked, as well. What blocked the Powerline signal was using an extension with surge suppression. As was warned about in the blurb that came with it.

Reply to
Davey

Personally I'd run a cable but then I'm also known to listen to Short Wave radio... Cables work, are reliable, run faster and don't consume power.

5 W per end, 10 W 24/7 is 87.6 kWHr/year or about a tenner, few more pints down the pub...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The neighbour whose DAB radio we borrowed has to keep it on a particular shelf in the kitchen to get a signal. We're a good way from the transmitter, with several - umm - topgraphical interventions in the way. Our TV signal can be entertainingly bad.

Reply to
Adrian

Where I live the FM signal is strong but the DAB signal is so pathetic that even with a dedicated aerial when it rains with leaves on the trees the thing breaks up into the "boiling mud" sound. Pretty much makes Radio 4 presenters sound like the aquaphibians off Stingray.

For those that don't know what I mean here is the classic Youtube "teach yourself aquaphibian" clip DAB simulation starts at 55s in.

Often the decoder crashes completely reproducing perfect silence which is about the only thing that DAB as implemented in the UK does well. The bit rate is inadequate for classical music and marginal for speech.

Not just one receiver either I have three and none of them behave to an acceptable standard. I now use internet streaming or satellite instead.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I wouldn't get involved in the "one true Radio Amateur" argument, if I were you. It's like wrestling a pig; you get all dirty and the pig likes it.

Reply to
Huge

The signal indoors will also vary depending on the make up of the walls nad the presence of bits of metal in the immediate area.

Reply to
charles

In my case, it's theexact opposite. My bedside radio is rock solid on DAB while FM used to vary like mad.

Internet streaming keeps cutting out. maybe going to FTTC next mont6h will help.

Reply to
charles

Well like any reception scenario its wanted verses unwanted signals and those powerline units radiate over quite some bandwidth...

Have a look at this if you haven't seen it...

tony sayer

Try disabling UPnP on your router. My streaming connections were unstable until I did that - networking guru suggested it as a possible fix and it worked for me for reasons that I do not understand.

MTBF streaming of tens of seconds improved to once a day if that.

It was particularly annoying in that my new Panasonic hifi internet receiver would crash out with "unknown error" whilst other lofi PC based decoders with much longer FIFO buffers would keep going.

Reply to
Martin Brown

New car has DAB, for fun I was listening to Radio 4 on DAB as I came home last night. not many yards over the top of Hartside. DAB switched to silence and "No Reception". It did work better than FM through the Howgills on the M6, one short bit of boiling mud and a few seconds mute.

FM really struggles and RDS quite often doesn't manage the retune.

Summat wrong with your broadband/router and bit rates on the internet aren't wonderfully good either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The electrical route between mine is:

Unit 1 -> MCB ->RCD -> RCD -> Main Switch -> Fuse -> RCD ->MCB -> Unit 2

That is through three CUs, It just about works...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd still need a WAP pulling 5 W (for example) at the back end of the house.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That's interesting --- isn't computer equipment the sort of thing that people most want to protect with surge suppressors? (I mean the end that's connected to the router, which is in turn connected to other computer equipment.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Most routers suffer the problem of only having one radio for the wifi side - hence they halve throughput when acting as a repeater. You need mimo kit to get round that.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would agree. But then, I didn't design it! I do without them, anyway, by using a boosted Wireless route. It is for the security camera in the garage. Running a cable is an absolute no-no.

Reply to
Davey