Power brown outs messing w my ch programmer...any clever solutions?

As per title , the none spectacular timer/ programmer on my CH does not appreciate power brown outs - screen goes blank & system left live & bouncing of the heat bank stat 24/7 :-((
All it needs to get back to normal is to cycle the power to the programmer, it then sets the day & (nearly) the correct time itself and all is well til the next brown out. Had 2 yday eve....
And it's all in a part of the house only really accessible from outside, so not inclined to totter round in my undies in the middle of the night....
Is this an expected feature of CH programmers in response to brown outs?
Istr this one uses a push fit backplate which istr are/were standardised ? Is it worth trying another? Or is there a better/simpler/cheaper way to brown-out proof what I've got?
TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
I'd suggest this is a fault. Is there an internal back up battery which has failed? I had this on a time switch some time ago and once it was replaced it managed to recover its settings.
Brian
--
----- -
On 26/05/2018 09:10, Jim K wrote:

Sounds like the internal battery for the clock has failed. Though I can't translate the last post of your sentence into English.
They should survive partial or total mains failure for days.

Not really. You might want to investigate the cause of the brownouts though - most likely a tree rubbing the power line if you are rural.

Probably not. I'd look for the source of the brownouts if the unit is capable of resetting to the right time if power is cycled (ie the internal RTC is working but the logic/CPU has crashed or latched up).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Sat, 26 May 2018 12:19:06 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Or at least report them to the DNO. bit of tree coming into contact with the line normally prunes that bit of tree and trips any upstream auto-recloser producing a couple of seconds of power cut before it auto-recloses and restores supply.
We get slight dips if there is something like that happening on another part of the 11 kV distribution from the primary. Only slight dips though not brown outs.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Sat, 26 May 2018 23:16:16 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jim K wrote:

contact

upstream

slight

It's really how far the the volts drop rather than duration. 1 second at 150 V is just as much a "brown out" as 10 seconds. "Sensitive" kit is going to get upset. Technically I guess anything below the lower voltage limit of 216 V is a "brown out", our slight dips don't get that low, 225 V maybe? Our supply is 242 V most of the time, normal variation +3 -6 V).
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 27-May-18 10:56 AM, Jim K wrote:

It's down to how sensitive things are to power fluctuations. That's a function of how much energy is stored in the power supply and demand of the device.
I can come home and find that only a rather old Tatung VHS has lost it's clock. This flashes the clock display to show it needs setting. But it starts time from 0:00 so it tells me how many hours/min ago the last power event was. Next to go is my Tesco's radio/CD alarm. That flashes time 00:00. Then the cooker clock flashes 00:00. After that it's a toss up between the microwave clock and everything else in the house - like computers / routers / NAS rebooting.
The Potterton EP2000 programmer is never affected unless the battery has run out.
On Saturday, 26 May 2018 09:10:16 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

fit one that works. No other option eg UPS is as satisfactory. FWIW I prefer the old clockwork type ones, they're not prone to the various electronic failure modes.
NT
On 26-May-18 9:10 AM, Jim K wrote:

Possibly an internal capacitor has failed.
I have a Potterton EP2000. This developed a fault that it would reset every time it tried to switch the hot water on. Central heating worked fine. The capacitor that held the relay on while the 3 port valve was in motion had failed. That was at about 10 years old, it's now 30.