Pole joining fittings

I'm looking to extend a window pole by fastening another to it. T The fastening I seek could just be a tube which fits over the end of one pole and is glued or pinned. The next pole then slips in the tube and held in by friction. You dismantle by pulling them apart. Or it could be more complicated a bit like the fittings on drain rods. or even the extensions on snooker cues.

However I don't know what they are called or where to buy them.

All help appreciated.

parts

Reply to
Christopher

1 What's the pole diameter? 2 How long is each pole? 3 What are they made of?
Reply to
RW

I think many of them use an RC priest. Try asking a plumber. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Thickness of pole? 3/4" copper pipe cut at 3" to act as a sleeve insert?

Reply to
George

The name of a generic part is a ferrule.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I love the names given to ironmongery, building stuff & the like.

'Escution' is my favourite! 'Mullion' being a close second.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If its a wooden pole then they are usually joined by dowel screws

The Medway Handyman

On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:52:58 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEbundy.co.uk

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

The Poles are 1" wooden dowel.

I would not want to use dowel screws as they are a permanent join . I want to be able to extend the pole to reach very high windows when required.

parts

wrote:

Reply to
Christopher

If you're going to be using it to reach up or out a fair distance, then you'll need a ferrule made of something solid like steel or thick brass - copper water pipe won't be strong enough. The ferrule itself will need to be quite long - I'd be looking for at least 3" overlap on each piece of dowel.

You could ask at a steel stockholders for 1" ID (inside diameter) tube - they may have offcuts to sell, or do it in short lengths. Stainless steel or brass will look and last better than steel, unless you paint it.

If you need to pull or twist on the pole then you'll need to look at ways to pin or screw the ends together anyway - a ferrule will just pull apart and spin round.

Have you looked at alternative poles? How about this?

Reply to
PCPaul

Hi,

I would look for arborist supplies.

Their poles for pole saws are larger in diameter, perhaps, but a temporary male and female joint with spring locking device which is hand operated.

Usual poles are fibreglass.. with joint adaptors bolted on.

I have used them for their intended use, but they might work for you too.

I hope it helps. David

Reply to
gilli

Extending pole for paint rollers are cheap enough

Reply to
stuart noble

Sorry, I assumed you meant a horizontal pole that held the curtains...

You could use a telescopic window cleaners pole

from 1.5m to 4.5m for £22 ish.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is that a Kentish version of an "escutcheon" ? :)

Reply to
Ziggur

Oddly enough I did check the spelling by typing 'Escution' into Google & got many sites spelling it that way

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Try fishing rod places, marine supplies and camping suppliers: all these people join short poles to make long ones. You may be able to find 1" pipe as part of e.g. a curtain rail itself come to think of it, tho its a hack to saw it up and finish the ends off nicely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher