Plumbing with lead solder

I moved some stuff about in the bathroom last weekend and used solder ring joints for the plumbing, adding a bit of solder to each joint.

I have a roll of fat, cumbersome solder I normally use so treated myself to something finer which was much easier to use. It's dawned on me since that I hadn't looked for solder free, and in fact have used 60/40.

Does this pose a realistic risk? Shall I redo all the joints (5 or so)?

We Brita filter the water and the bathroom is upstairs.

Reply to
R D S

It doesn't meet modern regs, but people have lived in houses for decades with leaded solder in all the joints.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is what i'm thinking. When I moved into the house it still had some lead pipe.

Reply to
R D S

Many of us grew up with lead piping. Many of us grew up with lead soldered copper, and many of us still live with lead soldered copper.

NT

Reply to
NT

Come on, how many homes have lead pipes in them, this one and many many others!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and we are all perfectly sane... you only need to look around here ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

If you are in a hard water area, it will get covered in a scale layer anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Solder ring fittings don't need any solder adding. If you added more solder to the outside it probably just ran off and never went anywhere near the inside of the joint.

If you live in a soft water area you need to worry about lead, if you live in a hard water area you don't.

Check to see if your filter removes lead if you are worried, some do and some don't.

Reply to
dennis

Yeah I know, but if a job's worth doing, it's worth going to extra effort to do it wrong.

Reply to
R D S

Is it still 'plumb' - ing if you don't use lead?

Reply to
Phil

What's Greek for plastic if you are using that stuff.

Reply to
dennis

Don't be daft - the Greeks don't use plastic solder.

Reply to
Phil

???????

Happy to help.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

You probably absorbed more lead through your skin handling the solder than you'll get from the water over the next twenty years. How much water do you actually ingest in the bathroom compared to how much is used?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

FYI Plumb is from the Latin.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , R D S writes

You can dissolve solder free solder with dehydrated water

Reply to
geoff

If it's lead-free, then it's stannuming ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgh

You probably don't need to worry in a soft water area either. We live in one and the water company dose the water to prevent lead dissolving in it. Ten years ago I did the designs for some of the panels controlling the dosing systems.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Well done!