Plastering with Sand/Cement/Lime and suction

I'm replastering an internal wall in my victorian house using sand/cement/lime 6:1:1. The level I need to bring the plaster out to needs to be about an inch thick because that's how thick it was originally and I need to level up with the existing door frame thickness.

Here is my method:

1) Soaked the brick wall (and I mean soaked!) until no more water was sucked in by the bricks. 2) Applied first coat about 1/2" thick and scratched up to give a key. 3) Left for a couple of days. So far so good. 4) Tried to apply second coat and level off with straight edge.

The sand/cement/lime does not want to stick to the first coat. Having removed a section of second coat the wall is really wet behind and I think this is why it's not sticking.

I am guessing the wall (and maybe the mixture) is now too wet and I'm getting no suction rather than the usual too much.

After eventually getting it to stick I found overnight it had slumped slightly and ended up hacking it off and am now ready to start again. The second coat separated from the first really easily and came off in sheets when I removed it.

Any advice on what to do now would be much appreciated! Should I wait for the wall to dry fully and then PVA it ?

Reply to
Andy Hide

I think so, but it may take a while for the mortar to dry out if it's as crumbly as most Victorian houses. 4:1 water/pva works for me but I would rake out any soft stuff first.

Why are you using cement? To cure damp? If so, cement based Aquapanels might be worth considering.

Reply to
stuart noble