Plastering question(s)

You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about

60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

Reply to
R D S

I think you'll have to put and edging strip in and finish to that - then do the other 40% from the strip on tomorrow.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quote; "it's OK if the seam is a bit rough, I have a big sander"

Reply to
R D S

You can seamlessly bond plaster "joints" together by use of PVA, Leave the finshed edge tapered. Later, when recommencing, wet down the taper area with PVA and water 50/50 mix. Mix some plaster up with 50/50 mix for where the joint is. You can "feather" the edge right down to nothing no problem with the PVA/water/plaster mix. Or even less PVA, you have to experiment. There is a cheap grade of PVA sold specially for this and similar purposes. (No good as wood glues)

Reply to
harry

Try to avoid machine sanding of plasterwork it creates a helluva lot of dust.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I'd hope it's at least slightly good as wood glue. I've used an awful lot of it to hold my bedroom floor down and my door frames up.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

All 'white' PVA is the same - its a glue or a sealer depending on how much water is in it.

The Natural Philosopher

I've got a 5 litre tin of "plastering" PVA. I've been using it as wood glue in non-demanding applications (ie. plenty of surface area, low risk of damp) for years, it seems to work fine.

Reply to
FullyDetached

You're a better man than I. I'd have completed about 10% then f***ed off down the pub.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

I'd have chosen a room with smaller walls.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm skimming a friend's hallway. I do a bucketfull, wash everything up, tidy up and go away for about a month....

I'm a busy person!! :-)

Reply to
Scott M

Cheers Phil.

I have someone in doing it, admittedly he has a dayjob and is doing it in spare time but applying at approx one bag per day and has yet to finish a wall in one go.

Reply to
R D S

Sadly I am paying him.

That said he hasn't yet finished the job, was coming to finish tomorrow but when I called him earlier he was in A&E with 'plaster burns'.

Reply to
R D S

If you haven't developed builder's leather skin, you need one of: Barrier cream, or Plastic Gloves, or enough skill not to get it all over yourself.

When washing your hands whilst plastering, use only water, as soaps/detergents also wash away the oils which provide your skin with some basic protection.

If you do get cracked skin (but not bad enough to go to A&E), rinse clean with water, gently dry, and rub pure vaselene into your skin. It's knuckles which seem to get it first.

It's a lot easier to avoid getting preventable skin conditions in the first place than it is to get rid of them afterwards. Some people can develop sensitivity or a permanent allergy to lime/plaster/cement products on repeated exposure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well he's a no show today, the A&E told him to keep his hands away from dust. I suppose I could offer to lend him some gloves.

Christ I pick em, this is why we DIY I suppose.

Reply to
R D S