Piggin cable clips

If you have a diamond wheel ...

Odd the sets I just looked at went blah 7, 8, 10 mm ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My mistake, its a 7mm hole

But not a 9mm.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That reflects my experience too, I found them to be a PITA to use, a very floppy thing to drive and easy to break if not driven packed out.

Re pin plugs and other plug options the thing to remember is that it's a lot easier to drill 4 or 5mm x 20 than it is to drill 9mm x 40 and that's before all the faff with driving the noodle into the hole.

Bill's comments regarding the quality of clips are valid but there's also the issue of experience, he's been knocking these in for decades when thee & me wouldn't stand a chance of reaching the same standard with the few that we do occasionally. I'd take the hit, keep drilling and keep up the quality on the job.

Reply to
fred

split the

In soft stuff, 8 mm in hard.

Different product. Toolstation are 9 mm believe me, I tried 8 mm but you can't get more than half the stem in before it stops. Use 10 mm and they don't quite hold.

Is with toolstation ones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doesn't make a lot of difference with an SDS drill. I like the cable tie mounts as when you need to replace or add another cable you just snip the ties, do the work, retie. The nails of clips won't come out of the wall and/or the plastic clip will deform. So you spend ages making good, then have a battle finding new places and driving in new clips. I guess the removal refix is not quite such a problem in pin plugs have been used, but you still have the size limit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wish I could find that long thing I wrote about this.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Do these things withstand sunlight etc? I used some plant ties on a bunch of cables, as they are quite wide, adjustable and can be undone easily. Might be OK until a plant can stand on its own one stem, but a couple fell off in a year and are a bit brittle. If the plugs do the same they're useless.

Reply to
PeterC

I used them for the Christmas lights, with exterior-grade nylon cable ties, and I haven't had any problems at all in the several years they've been up.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Cable ties come in UV stable and unstable types. Just make sure you get UV stable ones... The releaseable ties that were used to attach tree guards to stakes over 10 years ago are in perfect condition.

Can't say I've had any problems, Trying to remember when I installed DSAT, it was before "Freesat" (BBC/ITV) was available, we had "Freesat from Sky". Those ones would have been unpainted on a south facing wall until a couple of years ago when I painted the walls.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good, thanks. Worth using then.

Reply to
PeterC

They're usually black, as the carbon (black) absorbs the UV(?).

Might try some. Ties are easy to replace but plugs...

Reply to
PeterC