Petrol Pumps

Why do other countries have petrol pumps that can be set to deliver a certain amount - Litres or Euros? Even the attended pumps.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Why not? Some in the UK can too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have seen it in this country, years ago. You could preset how much you want to spend and the pump would stop automatically.

Reply to
Graham.

I'm not sure why you ask in that way, and not "Why don't we have it here". I suppose the answer might be once the fuel company has you on their forecourt, it is in their interest to sell you as much as possible and not encourage you to ration yourself.

Reply to
Graham.

Because they're primarily cash societies, whereas we're primarily plastic? Because they allow the pump to be locked on, whereas we don't? Or just because...?

Reply to
Adrian

Our local Tesco pumps can be preset, can't remember off hand whether it's money or litres.

Reply to
The Other John

Used one in Tesco on Thursday.

Reply to
dennis

IIRC it's either ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

"Dennis@home" wrote in news:543ae96b$0$44957 $b1db1813$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Not seen one in the UK since the 1970's where this was possible. Is it perhaps making a comeback?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I seem to recall also reading that its standard practice in some countries to pay before you fill rather than after?

Reply to
John Rumm

Like Sheffield :-)

Passing through many years ago, at the peak of the drive off boom, they wanted the money up front from me. I moved on and filled up elsewhere.

Reply to
fred

Some areas of Nottingham too (after dark, at least) I was on fumes, but still drove away from two garages before finding one that was fill-then-pay.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which is, effectively, what I do when I use pay at the pump.

Reply to
Nightjar

I'd have thought that by now all the pumps could do such a thing, its probably dependent on the choices made by those using them. As long as there is a way to stop over filling and the resultant hazards.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

fred wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y.z:

Why did it offend you?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Certainly saw that in Latvia - you have to (in 1997 anyway) go to the shop, tell him your pump number and pay up front.

In Albania around 1995, the petrol pump was sometimes contained in a brick building and the nozzle passed out according to friends who visited Tirana.

Reply to
Tim Watts

ISTR You on some can set fixed amount if you want to. I always brim it to a round number of litres every time to exploit Np/L off to the max.

10p and 6p deals are well worth following around.

A more pertinent question is why now that many pumps have two options for pay at kiosk or at pump that their user interface is so hostile. About half the would be Pay-at-Pump users at the Tescos I visit most frequently try to proffer their bank/credit card before pressing the Pay-at-Pump button. This results in a deadlock and no fuel dispensed.

The harassed staff in the rabbit hutch spend an inordinate amount of time telling customers to put the pump back on hook and press the right button! It seems to be getting worse as they roll them out elsewhere.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Perhaps they are more used to the type I encounter at my local Esso station, which automatically detects pay at the pump by whether or not you start off by inserting a card.

Reply to
Nightjar

In article , DerbyBorn writes

I wasn't offended, I chose to shop where I wasn't subject to that kind of inconvenience.

Some of the attitude and treatment could have been offensive however:

There was no signage to indicate pre-pay, the bored and feckless assistant made no attempt to indicate the situation and I was forced to visit the shed to find out why the pump hadn't been turned on. When doing this I was greeted as the village idiot for not understanding that, "it's wot you do round 'ere". Additionally, as I always fill up, I had no idea how much to prepay. Actually, it was probably a CC transaction and I certainly wasn't going to leave my card with that scrote.

Reply to
fred

That's what I susually do, at Tesco pumps, and I've never had any problem with the machines detecting the card and knowing what to do with it.

Reply to
Peter Johnson