PCI graphics card

The graphics card on the 'spare' desktop has died. Need a new one as the motherboard doesn't have a DVI output, only VGA. Don't use it for gaming so just want a basic card which will do 'HD' resolution. For Win 7. There seems to be a bewildering choice from 10 of quids to hundreds. Would like a well made and reliable one, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is your monitor DVI-I, or just DVI-D? if the former

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd be inclined to use one from the same stable as whatever has just died but these days you can have a powerful graphics card for ~ £20 eg

Obviously the latest and greatest games won't run on it. Secondhand you might find something cheaper still or better price performance at Cex.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yeah I was going to suggest a Geforce 210 card

I've got a couple here running in a couple of desktop PC's, work fine, cheap, quiet as no fan (some of them do have fans, but there are plenty of passively cooled ones around).

Various makers produce them, Just get one made by a decent manufacturer.

Reply to
Chris French

It's not the first graphics card I've had die, so would want one from a reputable maker. But dunno who that would be. ;-) Asus is a pretty common make - but I've had one of their mother boards die, so not sure if they are a decent maker?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you had posted about three weeks ago you could have had the three I chucked out to try. None were very modern but they did openGL quite well.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , Martin Brown escribió:

OP said PCI, not PCI Express. Maybe he did mean PCIe but worth checking.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Strikes me that fanless cards, and those that have a fan and no exhaust, are not a good idea if the PC is not well ventilated?

Reply to
RJH

Well yes all these things depend.

But FWIW, I've got 3 pc's here, one in largish tower case, one in a midi tower, one in small low profile case as an HTPC - all with passive graphics cards and just cooled by the PSU and CPU fans and natural ventilation. All three seem to have been operating fine for a number of years

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Ah yes, true.

Though PCI graphics cards are pretty ancient now, didn't AGP supersede them in the late '90's

Reply to
Chris French

En el artículo , Chris French escribió:

They were popular at one time for adding a second monitor to an AGP- based system.

Yes

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes, same here when I used to use/build PCs. But they can chuck out a lot of heat, and a case not designed to cope could cause problems. Given the OP has experienced 2 failures . . .

Reply to
RJH

Did the OP clarify whether they meant legacy PCI or PCIe?

Depends how fancy and power hungry the graphics card is. If the thing has insane parallel processing 3D texture rendering then it will probably cook itself but a basic fast 2D card is no sweat. Even the built in 4000 engine in the later Pentium 3770 etc isn't bad for 2D. (in fact at 2D only it is faster than some really fancy gaming cards)

Reply to
Martin Brown

If he really meant [parallel] PCI, I have a small pile of Diamond S3 Virage PCI cards, which somehow got missed out of a box of ancient PC cards which rent to recycling last year. They will all be 15-20 years old.

Did have some even older ISA pus ones, but they did all go to the tip.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel