Painting drywall

I have to paint a fair amount of drywall. I believe a diluted coat of emulsion serves to seal before top coat(s) However I have seen dilutions from 1:10 through 1:1 to 70:30 water:paint. Has anyone here good or bad experience?

Reply to
Jim S

If you dilute emulsion paint by adding more than about 10% of water, it gets too runny to be much use!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have used the proper dry wall primer in the past does the job but pricey because of the quantity you have to buy, only worth it if you have a lot of dry wall to do. Smaller quantities can be obtained from Artex it's sold as coving primer but is essentially the same stuff. Once primed you can coat with emulsion as normal.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

done that one, done very runny, done diluted PVA.

all ends up the same

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Far quicker to do a coat of water. 5 minutes later, paint it full strength

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or just get a paint designed to go on PB. Why should one have to faff around with such a routine task? Last time I painted pb Crown emulsion went on fine straight from the can (Dulux did not)

Reply to
stuart noble