painting a manhole cover?

hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front lawn. not a pretty sight :(

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co or whoever it belongs to?

thanks,

harry.

Reply to
Harry

Why not cover it with turf (real or synthetic) or stick a tub on it with a few shrubs?

Reply to
Rob Morley

When did anyone last stop in to check whether you had painted it?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

They will now, the cat's out of the bag!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Stick a big terracotta pot full of flowers on top of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view as angered many house owner. Cant understand why by now someone hasn't come up with making them in various coloured tops.

Reply to
tony green

Am I alone?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not by a long way.

Reply to
tony green

Do you really think that the couple of guys that are climbing down the hold to probably get covered in the worst the world has to offer are going to mind that the cover is green? It will probably be the nicest thing they see all day.

Reply to
doozer

That's between you, Jesus, and your pet dog. Or possibly your cigar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're not. Cue chorus of "they don't teach 'em like they used to, harumph harumph" from Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Reply to
rrh

Well at least one person understood :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

AFAIK it will belong to you - sewerage on a private property is usually the responsibility of the house owner and only becomes the responsibility of the water board (or whatever) once it gets to the main sewer.

Where soil drainage from other properties pases over you land I think the pipework etc. is still owned by you and they have right of passage or whatever :-)

So unless the main sewer is routed over your land (which could happen) then I think it is yours to do with as you will.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts