P**s up and brewery.

Seems only a few months ago the UK law was invoked to give parliament a say in the Brexit negotiations.
Dreadful, says May etc - we need to keep our cards close to our chest when negotiating.
Now it seems she wishes to do this via a public speech at Florence.
Is this another example of 'strong and stable' government?
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Before we *started* negotiating ...
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:46:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

This is after the EU has said - many times - that it doesn't negotiate by speeches.
It's all moot anyway. Looking at my news feeds, absolutely no one is talking about it outside the UK.
On 21/09/2017 13:56, Jethro_uk wrote:

Its only a Westminster village thing. The rest of the country couldn't care a toss what is said in a speech as it means absolutely nothing.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:56:55 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Funnily enough, I asked my mate in Denmark a couple of days ago if 'Brexit' ever came up in any conversations at work or home and he said 'no'.
His only comment on it was the company he works for buys some parts for equipment they make from the UK and if we end up with a customs border back then it will be a big PITA (delays not money etc) for them and they may well look elsewhere (within the EU) for supply.
Cheers, T i m

But they do - all the time.

--
bert

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:03:54 +0100, bert wrote:

such as ....

There - corrected that for you.
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy
On 21/09/17 13:56, Jethro_uk wrote:

Usually in a speech they are making about Brexit negotiations.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:46:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

I thought they were proposing to bypass parliament and let ministers make all the decisions.

That's because they haven't a clue what they are doing.

No.

I tried growing up but didn't like it.
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:46:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A speech the EU isn't going to ....
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-speech- florence-eu-commission-michel-barnier-negotiations-divorce-bill- a7959396.html
No European Commission officials will be travelling to Florence to attend Theresa May’s landmark speech on the Brexit negotiations, The Independent can reveal, in what appears to be a snub to the Prime Minister.
The Independent understands that Brussels officials and negotiators will be staying away from the PM’s critical address, despite chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier already being in Italy to address local politicians the day before.
In the audience instead will be Ms May’s own cabinet ministers – including Boris Johnson, who laid out his own (conflicting) vision for what Brexit should look like, in a 4,000-word Daily Telegraph article less than a week ago.
(contd)
On 16:14 21 Sep 2017, Jethro_uk wrote:

So much for the reassurance often stated by Brexiteers that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.
Of course the UK imports more EU goods than the other way around. However, the pro-EU states seem prepared to accept this loss of income if it teaches the lesson that leavers, now and in the future, will incur a financial cost based on principle not logic.

Don't be silly. If the EU can only be held together by threats and bullying then it should be dissolved altogether and new arrangements made.
The problem is not so much having an EU, it's *this* EU, this *corrupt* and *undemocratic* EU.
And FYI, there aren't any "little englanders", and they haven't sold me anything; I've known about how unfit for purpose the EU is for many years.
--
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 13:15:19 +0100, Tim Streater

Oh dear. You seem to be among those who think the EU should do exactly what the UK tells it to. The EU has never been a club for the UK to control. It's about cooperation - which it is not getting much from the UK now.
What we're about to get now is the worst of both "worlds": We'll still be paying large sums of money to the EU but getting nothing back and having no say over EU rules.

It's no less democratic and corrupt than the UK political system, better in fact.

From your posts you seem to be a "little englander" based on your prejudices.

Cooperation is a two-way street. This is negotiation between the EU27 and the UK. Meaning that we don't do what the EU says merely because we are still in it - the process should be negotiated, as it says in the Treaty. So far the EU has turned up, said "This is what is going to happen", and expected us to knuckle forehead and sign on the dotted line without further ado.
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy

Nope, just allow it to have what all but 3 of these have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_free_trade_agreements

No one wants to control the EU.

The EU isnt. Its actually about their way or the highway with stuff like the eurozone, schengen, unelected bureaucrats deciding policy etc etc etc.

Because the majority who bothered to vote voted to leave.
You get to like that or lump it.

Bullshit on deciding who can come to the country alone.

Bullshit.

More bullshit on deciding who gets to move to Britain alone.

Britain gets no say on EU rules now. It got no say on new joiners being forced to join the eurozone, on the free movement of EU citizens within the EU, or even on whether accept its quota of illegals.

Corse its much less democratic when the EP cant even write its own legislation and can only vote on whether to accept or reject what unelected bureaucrats have presented and can't even sack one of them, it has to sack the whole lot if its pissed off enough.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

He can't when he has always said that the EEC was a great idea but that the EU isnt on quite a bit of the detail they force on countrys that are considering joining.

No it's a club for the Germans to control. The rest are all afraid of the Germans.

Only for a couple of years more and even that has conditions attached. Remember the EU mantra - nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

Well we only have 1/28th say at the moment.

It's the remainers who are the little Englanders.
--
bert

I see that you still haven't learnt to put white space in your posts
tim

On 13:15 23 Sep 2017, Tim Streater wrote:

Little Englanders are very much alive and kicking. They are Farage and Johnson's supporters.
These Litle Englanders seem to forget how, for decades after the war Britain slipped behind it's European neighbours economically and was known as the sick man of Europe. The Little Englanders opposed change and in particular change the way the Europeans were doing. In the end, the loss was ours and we had to spend decades catching up as best as we could.

Anyone who hasn't got shit for brains knows that Britain should stay in the EU.
I don't even argue the point because it's so obvious.
Harry