Ovens with simple controls

Does anybody make electric ovens with simple controls these days?

Our old tricity built in double oven is really obvious : One knob with temperature for the main oven, one knob with temperature for the smaller one, one knob which goes 1-5 on the left for half grill, 1-5 on the right for full grill.

Every time we visit people we see strange ovens where you have to select what sort of heat to have then the temperature, then on some press another button to turn it on. Is this sort of thing compulsory these days?

Reply to
Clive George

Creeping featurism.

I spent 5 minutes pushing knobs on a microwave at someone elses house to no avail.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have a look at this Neff double oven from John Lewis:

Controls (per oven) are limited to a rotary switch for element and fan selection, and a rotary thermostat. There is a timer, but once the time is set it can be ignored. Peering through the slots at the top it looks as though the function switches are simple mechanical devices, and ditto the thermostats.

This replaced (mostly under guarantee) a JL branded Electrolux double oven which was far too complicated for it's own good, and which regularly refused to work at all when it detected any parameter that it didn't like...

In this case simplicity is good!

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

Don't get me started... We blind are having a heck of a time recently with cookers, washing machines and most other appliances where the bloody things have touch screens,menus or at the very least, non depressing buttons as per zx81, with no indication of anything. I don't really understand it all as surely it has to be cheaper to bung a mechanical control on directly, rather than some complicated power control servo system? Who is to blame, come on own up!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

/The Natural Philosopher

I spent 5 minutes pushing knobs on a microwave at someone elses house to no avail/q

Try turning them? :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I think one hob comes with a built in dab radio. I'm waiting for the intelligent egg timer... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

None turned.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:lrlkeo$ef3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Electronics ar efar cheaper. Don't think that TV Remotes were for the customer's benefit - think of all the potentiomenters that were saved.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That'd be the missus.

Reply to
Richard

Does anybody make electric ovens with simple controls these days?

Our old tricity built in double oven is really obvious : One knob with temperature for the main oven, one knob with temperature for the smaller one, one knob which goes 1-5 on the left for half grill, 1-5 on the right for full grill.

Every time we visit people we see strange ovens where you have to select what sort of heat to have then the temperature, then on some press another button to turn it on. Is this sort of thing compulsory these days?

Lacanche:-)

Reply to
Mr Sandman

And sold or rented to the customer for a higher price!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You wouldn't like ours then, touch screen and menu driven....:) I know but it was bought on a whim as, a) I like toys and b) no buttons or knobs to get gunked up.

Reply to
Lee
/ 16:33The Natural Philosopher

/q

? What make's this then?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The earliest ones were certainly extras. I remember the Philips that responded to a clap, or you could pointlessly use the remote that did nothing more than whack itself to make a sound.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Does the bubbling sound come from the saucepan or the DAB radio?

Reply to
Davey

You'd have to be _really_ slow witted to take longer than half a minute to figure out _all_ the controls on our thirty odd years old Toshiba ER-7700E. This has a total of four buttons and a freewheeling (optical pulses) seconds/minutes rotary selector.

The top 3 buttons in descending order being Power Level (default is 9

- full power according to the list), Autodefrost then Clear. The large freewheeling time selector is just below those buttons with a fourth, large square Start button below that.

Unless you want less than full power, it's simply a matter of dialling in the time and hitting the 58 x 27 mm Start button below.

Although it uses an electronic controller, thankfully, it doesn't have a pretentious time display option (Mind you, the temporary SSSS[1] replacement which does have such will allow you to forego setting the time without the obligatory blinking display to nag you - it simply shows an unblinking "0000")

[1] Sainsbury's Stainless Steel Special 700W oven. Temporary as in it failing in a year or three's time when the Toshiba can be taken out of temporary retirement.
Reply to
Johny B Good

It is all integrated so cheap... however there is a plan.

ALL appliances are to eventually conform to a standard interface protocol w ith mobile phones, this outsources the interface to the phone - and the pos sibility of voice control via the phone. You can tell the machines "oh do s hut up!" :-) Of course they may have an app written by GirlFriend which the n simply burns your food or just refuses to undo the door lock "not until y ou apologise".

There ARE steps to eliminate disposable appliances re longer warranty etc, the number of washing machines scrapped re £149-199 is simply huge. Not t hat a £349 one is that much better (or frankly guaranteed to be).

With apps logging your usage ... Gov't & Medicine providing helpful advice under Nazi-II It Will Work This Time ... the usual back-end bollocks.

Reply to
js.b1

Or in Adam's case, refuses to change the TV channel and tries to blow up the house.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

... I thought They All Do That ... (said how a car dealer says it :-)

Reply to
js.b1