OTish Volume Icon

Left my PC on last night, this morning Windows had "added some updates".

Now the 'Volume' icon has disappeared from the task-bar so I can't turn the sound up or down. Thank you piggin Microsoft.

Right click task-bar, properties, customise, turn system icons on/off - and 'volume' isn't highlighted so I can't change it.

Any ideas? Apart from hitting the bloody thing with a hammer?

(Windows 7)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Linux :-)

I know:-) :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

From there ... Restore default icon behaviour?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. Tried that, clicked on it and nothing happened at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's God's punishment for using Windows. And equally to those klods trying to copy one disk to another in that other thread. Doesn't Windows come with *any* useful software?

Reply to
Tim Streater

scroll down to Windows 7/8 instructions

and possibly update or reinstall the soundcard driver

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Hit Gates with the hammer.

Reply to
bert

You mean the control is greyed out?

If so, first establish if the sound is still working at all - an updated sound card driver that has broken the system sound may cause the control to be removed. Check device manager[1] is not listing any of the sound components with a yellow error triangle.

[1] type devmgmt.msc in the search box on the start button (or any number of other ways of launching it)

If the sound system is working ok, then try the following:

You can enable and disable the on/off switches with group policy settings. Depending on which version of windows you have you may or may not have the group policy editor (type gpedit.msc in the search box at the bottom of the start menu and hit enter to find out).

Then see:

Option 1, step 4.

If you have not got the policy editor (home versions of win7 may not), then download the .reg file they include in Option 2, step 9. And double click that.

Reply to
John Rumm

So who do I blame for the fact that just when the Jehovah's Witnessess were vanishing from my life along came the Linux proselyters?

Reply to
Robin

On Friday, 27 February 2015 21:55:25 UTC, The Medway Handyman uses:

Giving ideas to a Windows user is like selling explosives to idiots. It should be self destructive but it isn't. I presume that the imbeciles have achieved critical mass?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In message , Robin writes

As it happens Tim uses OSX IIRC. Though they can be just as bad :-)

Always a bit bemusing really that they feel the need to make such comments

Dave - have you tried turning on and off again ?

Reply to
Chris French

Windows is easier to use. That doesn't mean the user is an idiot. Just like people who drive automatics aren't necessarily incapable of driving manuals (like me), I just prefer them to do it themselves, less for me to do.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Under control panel, devices, sound controllers, do you have any audio device(s) shown? Do you have any yellow question marks or exclamation marks instead?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Control panel doesn't have 'devices' as such. Under 'sound' 'adjust system volume' I can turn it up/down - its just the icon missing.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Exactly so.

The sound works OK. If I go into control panel I can adjust it. Just no icon.

I don't have that.

I'll give it a try - thanks John.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Done that, it said something had been added to the registry, but nothing has happened or changed.

:-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

sorry I was a a bit loose with the proper name ...

Control Panel, Device Manager ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And they say Linux isn't for the uninitiated....

Reply to
newshound

Not got access to Windows 7 at the moment, but do you have a small triangle towards the right-hand end of the task bar? If you do, left-click it and click on 'Customise'. Within the window that opens you should find an entry for 'Volume'. Click on the drop-down and select 'Show icon and notification'.

GPE is only supplied with enterprise editions.

Reply to
Peter Johnson