OT: Ye olde road compactors query

I own half a JCB Sitemaster, although it is in Wales, so I never get to drive it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That's only because you haven't driven one yet, and don't realise how terrifyingly awful their brakes are.

Go with the tracks. At least they can stop before the hedge.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

From what I hear a full-size digger is easier and safer (for the driver!) to operate than a mini-digger.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Er - how do you know?*

Mary

*never been to Diggerland!
Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Where in Wales?

Mary with a daughter in Wales ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which half would you be driving?

Reply to
Bruce

's one at Castleford.

I don't think they'll take you to Waitrose though. Maybe there's a burger van nearby.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My cousin, who actually operates it, is based near Mold.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yup...gave my wife a day's JCB racing as a Christmas present! Complete with burgers on the barbie for lunch, as it happens...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Definitely petrol, as they had a spark plug. You started them by bouncing them up and down.

I think they had a handle that acted as a dead mans handle, if you didn't press it down, it didn't fire.

Reply to
<me9

didn't the GPO use the bouncy things for consolidating telegraph poles? I remember them (or their contractors if they used such in the 50s) using one to erect the poles in the back lane round about 1957.

Reply to
<me9

I know. Next weekend one of our sons and his son, along with others, are going on a Dads'n'Lads day. I've asked them to sneak one out.

You really know how to rattle my cage, don't you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Oh. The north.

Ah well ...

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah. You've driven my neighbour John's JCB? Damn thing must be 30 years old (at least), lives outside and has never had a moment's maintenance in its life.

Reply to
Huge

You can tip em all over. You have further to fall in a big one!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You'd be suprised how little a gradient makes you feel unstable in a full size JCB. Fore and aft isn't too bad, but side to side it only take a relatively shallow slope to make things feel decidedly dodgy. Especially when circumstances demand that the front bucket has to be held high.

AWEM (who spent the day in his JCB 3CX digging drain trenches until a hose burst with only 15 foot to go!!!!!)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Saw a 3CX turned over when my wife went JCB racing. They were one short for one of the groups for the heats, so they put in one of their assistants who hadn't driven much before. He did OK. For the second heat their JCB 'god' drive...he is quite mad. To make it fairer, he did the entire course in reverse gear - OK until he had to turn round at the end of a fast run to drop a traffic cone off the front bucket! Far too fast... They just pushed it upright with one of the other JCBs, straightened some bent metal and carried on.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Andrew Mawson" contains these words:

Despite wanting one I am not familiar with JCB suspension but my neighbour has a Zetor tractor which I use. Being 4 wheel drive it will go up and down really steep slopes but when traversing even shallow slopes it feels (and most probably is) really unstable. This is because the front axle is on a pivot so the tractor is no more stable than a trike until the axle has pivoted to its limit and by then it would be too late.

Reply to
Roger

Did she get to drive a JCB-GT?

:-)