OT Worst Christmas Present Ever?

At the temperature of a domestic fire, the chlorine content of the paper (from bleaching) will mean it produces vast amounts of dioxin.

And you'll probably use an appreciable fraction of the energy released by combustion simply to dry the papier mache out fast enough that it doesn't go mouldy.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === ==== Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557 CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

Reply to
Jack Campin - bogus address

That sounds bad. It would have been very bad for us. No sink until we could source one because I doubt we would have refitted the old one - which would probably have meant new worktop as well. And that would not have matched the other worktops...

Well I did manage - eventually. :-) It was at its worst when I had undone it by a few turns - so the tap body was entirely free to move.

Reply to
Rod

Found one once and gave it a try. Yes its a long tedious process for very little return.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Did that a couple of weeks ago, when I replaced the stupid quarter turn tap in my kitchen. And even after I took the sink out, I struggled to get the old tap off because it was all rusted together so badly. The new one is all brass...

Reply to
Huge

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

When I was courting No.1 wife, my future Grandmother-in-law gave me an empty ginger jar!

Mind, she had an excuse...she was loopy....& German !

Don.

Reply to
Don

I was spared the usual Xmas eve drain blockage this year!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My notoriously stingey brother gave one of my kids one of those disposable 35mm cameras - that wasn't so bad until the film was developed, whereupon we found half-a-dozen photos taken by one of his own kids at his birthday party (at which, on assumes, he received said camera as a gift.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Probably blocked with reindeer poo.

David

Reply to
Lobster

ISTR that reindeer have a poo about 18 times a day. Amazing what the brain stores innit?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Me too. But then, we don't live in that house any more ...

:o)

Reply to
Huge

So would you if you survived on a diet of carrots, mince pies and rancid sherry.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

NOT THE MR. HARMAN OF "YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO ON THIS FLOOR AFTER

9.00AM" (Are you being served) FAME, WE PRESUME?

And if you will tolerate the somewhat rambling and OT nature of this posting at this festive season.

Agree somewhat on subject of 'useless/unnecessary) presents. But when everyone else is flying around in the mood! One chronicler in the local rag wrote that he was not going to be the 'Christmas Grinch'; no, he was going to be a 'Christmas Mooch'! All the free food and drink he could lay his hands on etc. "Will drink any GIVEN quantity" etc.

Thanks to whoever; for the memory of the red tomatoe shaped (ketchup; as it is called over here!), tomatoe sauce containers. If anything might well define a lorry driver's cafe (pronounced "Caff" if I recall correctly), or similar cheap eating establishment of that era, it could be shiny oilcloth covered tables each with it's bright red tomatoe sauce pot. Sometimes with a 'slot' in the cover, for a serving spoon to emerge?

Nice bit of nostalgia; from over 52 years ago as an apprentice, in the UK, living as cheap as possible. 'Bangers and mash' (with lashings of tomatoe sauce, if free for no extra charge) being the treat of the week before going to night school on a Friday night (7.00 to 10.00 PM) after returning to Liverpool by train from some work location in the British Isles.

Net pay in 1952 being 'Three pun, six shilings and threepence ha'penny'! Per 44 hour per week. Night school, unpaid being extra.

On the subject of welding gloves; the same idea had crossed the mind here; and when the massive pair of padded kitchen gloves (my late wife and I used, along with other enterprises, to run a catering company!) ever or finally wear out, the slightly darkened welding gloves presently stored in the spare front bedroom, along with 'slightly' used welding rods, and the welders cap, goggles and mask, will be pressed into service. The gloves that is; not the goggles and mask!

However 'Princess Auto' who sell all kinds of useful hardware (everything from fake Honda, Chines produced, small gasoline engines to electrical connectors and plastic tie wraps, castors {casters:sp?} of various sizes and spare wheels for everything from a wheel-barrow to a boat trailer, also certain surplus items), have reasonable all leather quality welding gloves; sometimes on sale for a few bucks, as a 'loss leader'.

Princess Auto; the kind of place where one could browse for an hour and ponder whether to buy anything from log splitter to a 'D' cell battery, came into town a few years ago and have given all the other hardware (ironmonger) type companies some real competition. Not only on prices but also range of products. Also frequent 'sales'. Was there recently needing two 230 volt horizontal pin plugs

Yes; we do use some 230 volts here, mainly for heavy appliances, and 'we' have 230 volt outlets above the work benches for those tools that use it including the 1953 Wolf Electric drill, still going great on its original motor brushes, although over the years most of the gold colour paint has worn off and they had quite good quality standard North American vertical pin plugs for less than $2 each. Also got a few matching sockets to go on end of wire to repair some 'extension cords'. Very useful to have some odd length extensions of different wire weights. The somewaht portable, wire welder, for example is also

230 volt.

Also wired one extension with what in the UK would probably be called an RCD (it's a duplex GFI outlet) eqipped outlet. So if necessary to extend out into a damp location and there did happen to be any leakage or a faulty tool the GFI would detect unbalance between AC current in the live and neutral wires and trip the outlet. Reason did that was in part that this was an older style GFI outlet that only protected itself, it cannot be wired to protect any outlets down stream of itself. E.G. equipping the first or a strategic outlet on a run of outlets with a GFI type.

Note GFIs, here, not recommended for any appliance with a motor (with exception of a lightweight counter appliance such as a blender or electric hand mixer); e.g. a fridge or freezer etc. cos motor starting currents can cause unbalance that trips the GFI/RCD.

PS. Wondering if, with a ring main system if the circuit breaker is not an RCD type, to obtain same protection, each and every outlet would have to be RCD (GFI) equipped?

PPS. Have read about that system apparently used on some UK building sites whereby a step down from 230 to 115 transformer is used; and 115 volt tools are employed? Not only that the centre tap of the 115 volts is earthed? Hence the maximum voltage to earth/ground etc. is only

57.5 volts RMS? Sounds like a good system? Also, allegedly, that cheaper 115 volt tools can be used. Here the maximum voltage to earth/ground is 115 volts RMS (about 165 volts). And that's from each 'side' of two legs comprising or having 230 volts between them. Have an old Black and Decker metal framed hand drill, recall bought for $8 on sale some 30+ years ago that needs it ground to be checked; another safety item for this season.

Another note: Have also bought replacement 9 volt (transistor radio) type batteries for the three smoke detectors in the house. We change them each New Year. Also believe have to check the age of one of the detectors (although all are proven to work) when we occasionally 'smoke' something such as a bacon pan, something in the oven or a piece of wood jammed in the bench saw! Apparently after a certain number of years the radioactivity in the smoke detecting/ionizing chamber ages? Thought that stuff lasted 10,000 years or summat; and had to be disposed of as 'Hazardous Waste"?

Anyway: To everyone who reads, be safe. Greetings for the coming New Year and any festivities warranted at this season of this year. Hey; how's that for being 'politically correct'?

Cheers.

Reply to
terry

Unlikely due to the cost of RCD sockets. We do not have RCD sockets that provide 'downstream' protection as they would require to operate at 30A even on radial circuits.

Where a non-RCD circuit is used it is normal to provide RCD sockets only where required, eg for the use of portable appliances outdoors.

If all sockets require RCD protection (and new regulations require RCD protection to most cables as well) then protection at the consumer unit is used.

Incidentally, it's a ring final circuit. A ring main is something different, and unlikely to be found in domestic installations smaller than Buckingham Palace.

I don't know if the tools are cheaper - only professional tools tend to be available in 110V - but it may help reduce the appeal of thieving them for personal use.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Perfume?

Reply to
dennis

The message from Colin Wilson contains these words:

Did your mother use much aftershave?

Reply to
Appin

Collected your own copy from the Post Office on Christmas Eve itself?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think they store it in their bowels, Dave. But maybe Kentish reindeers are different.

Reply to
mike

Yes.

Even if you ever do manage to get them dry, you're still left with a paper log that burns only as well as a tightly rolled newspaper and generates just as much ash.

Second only to the can squisher that contains as much metal to make as the cans it can be expected to squish in its whole working life.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ours did better than that, seem to remember taking =A330 quids worth of = ali crushed ali cans to the Alcan Recycling place, that was a refuse bag ful= l at least may be two. Only suitable for ali drinks cans though, steel foo= d cans are too tough. Simpler to cut both ends off and stamp on 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

432 years. So let's see... can I remember my calculus? Assume a 10% drop is important. That'll happen in .... err no, I can't remember my calculus but about 65 years. I think.

And it's spelt "Tomato". Even in American. :P

Happy new year to you to!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ