[OT] Wood burning stove(s)

Can anyone recommend a good supplier/installer of wood burning stoves?

In particular, I'm looking for one which draws its combustion air from outside.

Reply to
Huge

I think we need to know where you are, I'm probably going to use a place I've visted a couple of time for flue parts etc that have been very helpful anf friendly but they are in Carlisle...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What part of the country?

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

most these days are good, but expensive.

'Drawing air from the outside' can be no more than a 4" or 6" pipe to a free space (I used the hyper ventilated loft) with a grille ending somewhere in the same room as the fire..

So I wouldn't necessarily insist on a 'balanced flue' style stove.

But beware. Wood prices are soaring, so unless you have your own 10 acres and a chainsaw.. watch out...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

D'uh. Sorry. My brain has been damaged by back-to-back meetings since 9am.

Near Bedford.

Reply to
Huge

That's *exactly* what I want to get away from - a howling gale of "fresh" air being sucked into the room.

After some googling, I discover these things are called "room sealed" stoves. That's what I want.

I have an arrangement with the tree surgeon who rents some land adjacent to our house. Firewood is verging on a waste product for him. In fact I can help myself if I'm prepared to split it.

And compared to oil, wood's a bargain.

Reply to
Huge

Can't say I notice that with ours - 8.5KW Stovax model... Although it must draw air in from somewhere though... I suspect the rooms big enough that we don't notice.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

My little Aga isn't bad.

As for installers, google for the HETAS website - they have a "find registered installer by postcode" search.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's not a bad idea - thanks!

Reply to
Huge

It isn't a howling gale if the entry is close to the stove.

I pay similar actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ours has a small vent either side of the fireplace leading to the void under the floor.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Barton Supplies. Barton-le-Clay, 01582 882588 Just down the road:-)

They supplied my Clearview and would have installed it if I hadn't wanted to do it myself.

External air is an option on the Clearview 650

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks!

Reply to
Huge

Likewise. If the nominal output of the stove is over 5kW, Building Regulations require fixed ventilation in any case. And you can always replace the vfixed ent with a hit and miss vent once you have the piece of paper.

No howling gales here.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I fitted a duct under the hearth leading to the suspended floor void and then put an additional air brick in the outside wall.

None here. Mind, the warmest place is halfway up the stairs!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No void under the floor here - it's a concrete slab.

I envision something like a duct running backwards out of the stove through the back wall of the fireplace directly outside.

Reply to
Huge

simply put it into the fireplace.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were very keen on Vermont and Mørso stoves a few years ago. The Vermont ones had an option for external air supply.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks.

Reply to
Huge

If the fireplace is on an outside wall then that sounds like agood idea. If the stove is free standing you probably would not need the duct. The very presence of a vent through the wall just behind the stove would be enough. You would not notice a draught when the air is just moving around the stove. Our vents are to either side at the front built into the wooden fire surround and we have no noticeable draught.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike