OT: Will These Work?

I have a wireless router and the supplied power adaptor has given up. The spec for the router is 12V DC 1A. I have two spare adaptors with the correct end for the router but one is 9V 1A and the other is switchable voltage but only 300mA. Before I go out and purchase a replacement would either of these be suitable? I presume the 9V one wont due to lack of voltage but will the lack of 700mA cause any problems if I use the switchable one?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

You would be better asking this in uk.telecom.broadband, but no, neither will work, you will need to get your wallet out. If the PSU supplied with the router is rated 1A there's a reason for it!

Reply to
Woody

The 9V one probably won't work but would be worth trying. The 12V

300mA one might get fried.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why not try the 9V one? Is running it at undervoltage going to give rise to any risk (fire, corrupt data, plague etc) - assuming of course "correct end" includes "correct polarity"? Isn't much modern electronics tolerant of low input voltage? And what's to little to lose (assuming the 9V adaptor is protected against overcurrent)?

Reply to
neverwas

Set the adjustable one to 12V and connect them in parallel.

Please let us know the outcome.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That might work - the 12V power adaptor might be a simple dumb device (transformer, recitifer, capacitor and a fuse if you're lucky), with the 12V measured under 'no load' conditions; the first thing the router might do internally is run the input through a voltage regulator which produces a stable-but-lower voltage (although it would surprise me if it's all running on 5V internally but they still supply a

12V PSU; that's quite a drop).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

If you send me an email direct, stating what router it is for and the power plug configuration, I am more than willing to send you a power supply if I have one in my junk box. I know I have some 12V 1A ones

Kindest regards,

James

Reply to
the_constructor

Actually, that's damned worrying, 'cos 1A is a hell of a lot for a router, it's 240 watts!

Whereas I'd expect a router to draw about 75 watts, in which case a

300mA jobby might just do it. Try and fry?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

The highest voltage one will supply all the power, unless it is dragged down so far as the lower voltage one. So not really worth the effort.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

12V x 1A = 12W

I'd say even that is out by a factor of 5 to 10.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I suspect not, or not properly, or you'll get over heating problems (plenty common enough in routers anyway IME).

A new power supply will be disproportionately expensive, especially if you have to pay delivery but try Google and EBAY anyway.

New routers are usually very cheap nowadays if yours is nothing very special.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The chances are the router has other regulators within it. Whatever the regulator outputs they have to have an overhead on the input so that they stay in regulation - for many single chip units this is often 2.3V, so if 12V is the notional supply it suggests an internal supply of 9V in addition to the almost obligatory 5V. Run the unit from 9V and the 9V regulator will not work correctly and may stop the whole thing operating reliably.

Reply to
Woody

Er, no. An adjustable SMPS 3 to 12V, 1,200mA, lots of different interchangable plugs is/was under a tenner (£7.75 IIRC) at ... Tescos. I've got quite a few of them running all sorts of things including my doorbell and my electronic door locks and they're fine.

As an aside I can't see how you would get overheating problems with undervolting electronics, motors maybe but electronics no.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

How, exactly, do you work that out? The old PSU was rated at 12 volts,

1A. So that's 12 watts.

WHAT? My router (nothing special) draws 10 watts.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Damn, yes, it's been a long day. Of course you're right. I think I'll go and have a beer....

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Maplin have a few that should work. The cheapest is £12

New routers are usually very cheap nowadays if yours is nothing very > special.

A nice dual band one so the uncongested 5G band can be used would be a good idea IMO.

Reply to
dennis

Like an oversize phone charger?

Oh, I don't like them. 8-))

And I don't like the bevy of low quality adapters they come with.

I've seen new routers, not necessarily the latest one, by reputable manufacturers starting at £16 on "one day only" sales.

My current modem - router has mains psu built in. It's predecessors all had wall warts but I think three of them on the trot had overheating problems (as does this one) causing disconnections.

So personally now I don't deviate from the standard setup.

NB of the two VIGOR routers I had one had an AC power supply and the other was DC.

Oh and since I got shot down on one group who accused me of "cooking" my routers I live in a normal modern house maintained at normal temperatures, although the modem - router is, for the moment, unavoidably on a shelf above my desk directly above my LCD monitor.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , Woody writes

Suck it and see - its unlikely to do any damage

Probably because it is what they used on the previous model ...

Reply to
geoff

In message , TheOldFellow writes

Err

12V x 1A = ...

Reply to
geoff

In message , the_constructor writes

Actually ... now you mention it , so have I

Reply to
geoff