OT: wifi setup advice

How about the firewall, then? AVG free?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably a good thing - 802.11a is on 5GHz not 2.4, so you are far less susceptible to interference from all the untold multitude of 2.4GHz devices that are around these days.

It also has eight non-overlapping channels rather than the three you get with 802.11b,g or n (channels 1,6 and 11)

The only real disadvantage of 802.11a is that the higher frequency signals don't have the penetrating power of 2.4GHz when it comes to walls, soild objects etc. But if you're already using it happily, you're on a winner!

Reply to
PCPaul

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Yah- boo!, my leccy bills bigger than yours;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

We've got one running over 17.5 miles;)..

Bands. A, B, and C in 5.8 Ghz are all for slightly different applications..

The don't like trees for fixed links...FWIW...

Reply to
tony sayer

thanks, I will be setting another up today time allowing.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Seems you can't on all versions of XP.

I'm not well up on windose - but there may be a free prog that gets over this for those where you can't.

Other possibility is to use the router firewall to only allow access to certain machines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

very few router actually route the LAN side. The routing and firewalling is between the LAN and the Internet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine certainly does on the WAN - which I think was the problem. Not much point on the LAN. You'd do that via the individual firewalls on the computers if you needed it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Methinks several people are confused as to what routers *do*. Especially given that domestic broadband routers generally have hubs (wireless or wired) built in on the local side.

Reply to
Huge

They're generally modems too?

But as I said the wireless hub on mine allows you to decide which devices have access to it. Anything else would be crazy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not by routing, generally.

A typical DSL router is a modem, a router and a switch or hub.

The wireless side tends to be simply an extension of the switch or hub as far as I can tell.

Access control is at the MAC level, not the IP level. But I dont do wireless much, so that may be wrong.

Its a bit tricky for the average user who just wants a homogeneous network behind a NAT firewalled router..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. But that's nothing to do with routing. You just happen to have a router and a wireless hub in the same box.

Reply to
Huge

And a modem.

However most would find it difficult to find a bare router - even if they wanted to. Talking about domestic use, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I fear I am fighting a single-handed losing battle against the loss of the correct meaning of the word "router". :o(

Reply to
Huge

I've got a cheap one from B&Q which came with lots of 1/4" and 1/2" cutters.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How do our US cousins pronounce 'PC' routers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'll have to be more specific. I'd thought it was a computer that linked others via IP on a network?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

row-ter. As in "rout" - "a rabble dispersing in disarray".

Reply to
Huge

Kinda. Not necessarily via IP. And it links networks. The problem is that a domestic router usually has three components in the same box; a modem to talk to the ISP, a hub to talk to the local network, and the actual router itself. People have started referring to hubs as routers...

I guess it will go the same way as the word "video" of which my video studio manager friend now despairingly says "people say 'if I bring my video round to yours tonight, can I video that video you videoed for me?'"

Reply to
Huge

rowters

Reply to