OT: Which was better: The 60s or the 70s?

Tough call, isn't it?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

60s - full of hope. 70s? full of Labour and the end of hope.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:)

Reply to
Richard

60s Full of work and hope

70s From 1979 t0 1990 Full of Tories, end of hope, end of work and the break-up of the UK as we knew it.

All utilities sold off, factories, mines and steel works shut and sold off - and the start of the break up of the NHS and welfare system plus millions thrown on the dole.

The Witch is dead!

And today's Tories have even managed to out-do the witches policies to make life even harder for the workers and the [genuine] sick and needy.

Reply to
Unbeliever

You ingrate. Without her, you'd have no-one to blame for your miserable existence.

Reply to
Richard

Jimmy Savile or Rolf Harris?

Reply to
ARW

First question should be "Who can remember the '60s and the '70s?"

Although allegedly if you could remember the '70s......

I think, from what I can remember, that the '60s were (probably) better because a lot of shit happened in the '70s. Raging inflation, rolling blackouts, 3 day weeks etc.

Your Memory May Vary.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Too young for the 60s, but the 70s was better than now in terms of personal liberty and relative lack of regulation and the assumption people had some personal responsibility.

However, given the convenience of the Internet, home shopping and ability to research quickly, now is way better.

It's a pity we cannot have both.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's probably a good assessment.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't really remember the 60s ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

If anyone here has read Godel Escher Bach, my answer would be "mu".

It is not a particularly meaningful question. The 60's, or at least the late 60's have many cultural associations: the Beatles, Carnaby Street, the Mini. As do the 70's: the Barber boom-bust, the three day week?

The reality, for those who remember it, is a little more subtle than TNP and his ilk would imply.

I would not for a moment suggest that the populist movement which supported Thatcher at the end of the 70's was not an understandable response to some of the excesses of the labour movement. But equally, it increased the concentration of power with the Wapping press and the bankers. Killing the grammar schools made sure that the Cabinet and the Grammys are now full of old Etonians, and look like being for the forseeable future.

Reply to
newshound

At one point in the 60's the Beatles were regularly bringing out singles and albums of songs which have really stood the test of time - rather than it being just a case of saying that the "music was better in my day"

Mohammed Ali was world heavyweight boxing champion - and regularly predicting just how he was going to win. Looking at film of his fights from the 60's its remarkable how slim he was for a heavyweight and how fast he moved. A real entertainer both in and out of the ring.

England won the World Cup

Even at the time it was obvious that it was unlikely to ever be another group as good as the Beatles, another heavyweight better than Mohammed Ali or that England would ever win the World Cup again.

So the 70's were always going to be downhill. Accompanied by truly horrendous fashions such as platform heels and haircuts to match.

And of course, everyone was ten years older as well.

michael adams

michael adams

BBC2 started in 1964 with colour tv arriving in 1967.

1962 saw the first transatlantic satellite for tv. 1969 first man on the moon
Reply to
charles

Wasn't born for most of the 60's !

Reply to
John Rumm

This 2.5 minutes will jog your memory... :-D

Cursitor Doom

OMG!! Take me back there now!

Reply to
Julian Barnes

I was born in London just after the war so was able to take part in the best bits of both the 60s and 70s or so im told :)

Reply to
Mark

Before looking at that, I was just going to say "Pan's People". But that, too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was in my prime in the 60s, and it's only now I realise what a pile of crap it all was. Swinging 60s my arse. Universal narcissism more like it. The Beatles were just about ok for a while, thanks mainly to George Martin, but I can't bear to listen to any of it now.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The universal narcissism only ever applied to a small sub group whereas many people liked, and many still do The Beatles songs. Lennon however had a reputation as a wife beater even then, which made his subsequent elevation to sainthood all the more amusing.

Two other things from the sixties which have never been surpassed, in the UK at least, IMO

Crime - The Great Train Robbery Scandal - The Profumo Affair

michael adams

michael adams