OT Van insurance and No Claims Bonus

So if I do not reinsure my van (various reasons) then how long will my NCB last for?

I have 9 years NCB and ATM have no reason to put the van back on the road. What I do not want is 12 months time to find out that I have zero NCB as I did not have my own insurance policy.

Anyone with experience of this?

Reply to
ARW

Remember to make a statutory off-road notification (SORN), Will you not also want non-Road Traffic Act insurance to cover the possibility of fire or theft?

Do you have any other vehicle? Are you a named driver for any other vehicle?

Reply to
Scott

It may vary from company to company. My experience with CIS was that the NCD lasted 2 or 3 years. That was for a car, not a van.

What does your current insurer say?

Reply to
GB

Ditto.

Someone I know was coming up to 2 years without a car & insurance recently. All the firms she sought quotes from online accepted NCD earned up to 2 years earlier*. She phoned a couple of brokers who said they had some underwriters who would allow a longer gap but they were usually so expensive it was hardly worth it.

But obviously vans may be different.

*including LV who 5 years ago only allowed 1 year
Reply to
Robin

It says that it has gone into liquidation and I will get about £85 back to cover 90% of my remaining insurance premium calculated on a per rota calculation and that the figure will we decided by the FSCS.

I SORNED the van 3 months ago when the tax ran out.

Reply to
ARW

Two years IME (cars).

Reply to
Clive George

I think you have to keep re-SORNing it every year, btw.

Reply to
GB

That's news to my car :-)

(no you don't)

Reply to
Clive George

I'd say you'd do best to ask your insurance company - and not rely on what someone says happened in the past. They seem to have recently changed many of the things you one got - due to cost cutting.

I'd also keep any documents you have stating what your NCB is at the moment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now you don't need to renew them, but between 1998 and 2013 you did.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You do. Or did up till very recently.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My experience is 1 or 2

where can you find someone who will let you have 3?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I thought CIS, but it may have been 2 years. Sorry to be so vague, but this was quite a while ago.

We went from two cars to one, and for a few years I juggled things to try to keep my wife's NCD going. In the end, I gave up!

Reply to
GB

One of the brokers I was told said they could sometimes get NCD honoured after 3 years w/o insurance was Bluefin. But they were never put to the test.

Reply to
Robin

You could always bit the bullet by putting the van up your driveway and going for the cheapest insurance possible ....... 3rd party only, no fancy extra cover and a huge excess? Drop the mileage to the minimum.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I am a named driver on three other policies (all cars). And that is another weird one. On two of the policies I drive more miles per year in those cars than the main owner. The 3rd car did 72 miiles last year and I only did about 5 of them.

As for fire and theft I am not bothered. It's a 52 plate VH Combo with

200K on the clock and a couple of slugs living in it. The insurance excess is worth more than the van.
Reply to
ARW

Dunno if that would work. It's only £250 a year to insure fully comp (non protected policy) with a £300 excess! The van is worth not much more than the excess due to the mileage - but the dealer who drove it home with his trade plates (it is already SORNED and on the driveway) said it drove very well. Possibly getting ready for a clutch and the radio was tuned to Radio 2 were his only negative comments.

Reply to
ARW

The law changed from 16 Dec 2013:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

If they've gone into liquidation, get yourself proof of NCD asap. You'll need that to transfer over to another insurer, and will probably need to wave the paperwork at them: if your existing insurer has vanished they won't be able to ask directly.

If you can't get proof of this year's NCD, do you still have proof of last year's? A renewal letter will normally suffice. That may mean your 2 year NCD clock starts ticking from the date of that renewal, rather than 2 years from now.

Theo

(this is for cars, I have no idea if vans are different)

Reply to
Theo

Some insurance companies will keep the bonus for you. I used to have two cars and phoned both insurers. One offered to keep it indefinitely. Quite why I couldn't split the single NCB into two in the first place I don't know, I had to earn both seperately.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword