OT: using tablet as a Sat nav

Does anyone do this ?.

I have never bought one of these things but so much now seems to demand an 'app download' I might have to bite the bullet.

Everything with a remote control has an app which has more functionality.

Can you download maps like you do with (older) Toms-toms, or would this only work if the tablet has the cellular option as well as wifi ?.

Does anyone actually buy standalone SatNav units for cars these days ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

not much needed now with advent of smart phones.

Reply to
FMurtz

Satnavs require GPS receivers which are inbuilt to a lot of smart phones. You need to check if the tablet has a GPS receiver.

TomTom do a Satnav App where the maps can be downloaded to your own device so you don't necessarily need a cellular phone or wi-fi to operate while on the move. You would need one of these functions (or a connection to a PC) to get the App and map on the device in the first place. You may need a cellular network connection if you want real time traffic updates that can automatically alter your routing to avoid traffic jams or accident road closures.

(Other SatNav Apps are available which may operate in the same/similar way)

Many cars now come with their own build in Satnavs with the full maps installed in the cars memory.

Reply to
alan_m

Better eyes are needed for Smart phones, which is why I am more interested in the Tablet route.

Reply to
Andrew

We have done yes. We also had the GPS outputting to a Laptop and giving us a 'moving map' before such things were commonplace. ;-)

We have several (different sizes / Android / Apple) and they can be handy.

Played with but never used in earnest.

It only needs it's own GPS functionality.

We do and would do so again if we lost what we have (Garmins for years here).

We do use Google maps on the phone now and again but prefer to keep the phone for phone use (and the Garmin GPS can act as a BT speaker / mic).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Have used a tablet (wifi,not cellular) in the past, there are apps that let you download the maps. TBH these days I use Google Maps on the phone, the voice commands are usually all you need. Plus you get real time updates on traffic conditions, although not always reliable. I was incorrectly detoured off M5 the other day, from their misreading of either an M50 or an M4 closure.

Reply to
newshound

I can understand that, but you can get some pretty big phones screen wise, I'm not sure if using a phone as a hotspot will give accurate enough tablet positioning info.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Most use their phones that I know, Tablets are a bit too big. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Use the voice on the smart phone. I can even do it for walking navigation. otherwise then you can normally update maps when you are on your wifi, assuming your car or phone does not already have a hotspot for such things. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Can you not *listen* to the route ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

yup

really?

tell me more :-)

you download offline maps for the areas that you visit

I just use Google maps. Which will likely be pre-installed on the device

But some of the functionally doesn't work in offline mode, so you may prefer an alternative

one tip - if running from the internal battery, if you put it into screen saver mode you will still get the announcements, and the battery lasts longer

tim

Reply to
tim...

I have been using Here we go for years - on Android and IOS phones.

Finding the phone screen a bit small, I bought a Samsung tablet (Galaxy Tab A (8.0", 2019) - with LTE). And use that.

By getting LTE it doesn't need to use the hotspot on my phone and it gets a GPS chip. I bought a Three PAYG SIM so could even use the Tab as a phone.

The data usage during normal use is small and it switches to wifi at home - and many other places.

It is also quite nice to use for other purposes - even as mundane as a bit of browsing at a services.

Battery easily lasts long enough for every journey I have made since getting it.

In my car, it can lie between gearstick and cigar lighter socket. Has Bluetooth so I can choose whether or not to get audio through the car's audio or directly on the Tab.

Am well aware it is a relatively expensive approach but I did get a good price on the Tab.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Yes, excellent in my experience, it's my standard SatNav program. It allows you to download maps for large areas (e.g. in my case I have the whole of the UK and Western Europe) and then runs wholly 'offline' (i.e. without using any data).

Reply to
Chris Green

I had meant to make that point myself!

They also update quite regularly. Where I live appeared quite quickly (new-build house) - still not arrived on quite a number of satnavs.

(I actually went for Here because at the time I had three phones - IOS, Android and Windows. And it was the only, or just about the only, one that was available for all three. I hate using multiple different products if avoidable - it just confuses. Now I use IOS phone and Anroid tablet - similar enough.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

My phone screen is the same size as my sat nav

Reply to
FMurtz

I use a 10 inch tablet as sat nav, co-pilot has downloadable maps and works well (free limited time trial available) I use a 4g tablet with a sim card, then you get re-routing etc. It is now only 5 pounds a month for enough data for my needs plus unlimited calls and texts. The tablet was only 42 quid from china on ebay. add on a obd2 reader and you can have all the fun of using torque to analyse you car as well.

Reply to
MrCheerful

It also has a feature which it appears I am the only person in the world that makes use of.

Google Maps and Waze (still) do not have it.

If they made the smallest of tweaks to HERE, it would be perfect. And I rarely say that about any software, let alone "apps" ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Depends on the sat nav.

The better ones have features which the general map apps lack, eg junction view etc, which is extremely useful- especially when driving overseas where they seem to take delight in having junctions which resemble plates of spaghetti.

Some also allow to but in vehicle details so you can avoid low bridges, weight limits etc.

Conversely, Google is good for homing in on places without a detailed address etc or viewing the approach so you can preplan the final details.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Do in car satnavs update free of charge. I know my van 2012 has a SD card and iv to pay some ridiculous price to update it

Reply to
sintv

Mostly works. And the built in system on my car includes the option of having an arrow and hour glass display at the bottom of the rev counter (where you can also get all the other OBC type things). As you approach a turn off etc, not only do you get a verbal warning, but the hour glass starts filling, and you take the turn when it's full. Hardly ever have to shift your view to the sat nav display.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)