OT: Unbelievable climate change bullshit

I can't believe anyone would even consider this nonsense!

Tough Guy no. 1265

Actually it is the people who don't think climate change is real that want to indulge in geo-engineering to counteract the effects of rising CO2. It may ultimately be the only answer since there is no evidence that any government is ever going to seriously reduce CO2 emissions.

If you do it right you can tweak the Earth's albedo and prevent direct sunshine from hitting the Earth. This actually happened for real in 1816 in the year without a summer after the Tambora caldra eruption and to a lesser extent in the winters of 1883-4 after Krakatoa went off.

In short it means that if the chips are down then the planet can be cooled down by deliberately provoking the Yellowstone caldera to erupt (or a handful of other active super volcano calderas).

Not sure that many city dwellers have ever *seen* the milky way :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

IF the climate is changing (big IF, and not by any means confirmed) and if that change is going to be seriously harmful to man and his environment, then any solution is worth considering from an academic viewpoint. You then sift through all the possibilities and dismiss the ones that you think are too costly/wacky/ineffective/unacceptable etc. (which may even be all of them), and see what you're left with that's practical and desirable.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's always changed, we aren't making the slightest bit of difference to it. And more CO2 is good for plantlife. I would welcome a greenhouse effect - the plants would grow abundantly like when the dinosaurs were around.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

you have just replied to a complete prick

Reply to
Mick

WHAT?! If someone doesn't think climate change is real, why would he want to do anything about CO2 that isn't causing any problems?

And I hope they don't. Plants live on CO2 and would do a lot better and improve our food supply, like they did back in the days of the dinosaurs.

Or we could just let the planet do as it wishes.

People who want to live in cities are absolute morons.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

But the current evidence shows that increasing CO2 has little effect so why would reducing it have a major effect?

Reply to
dennis

They understand as much about climate change as they understand about what kind of fats are good and bad for you. They change their mind every 5 minutes.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Climate change has happened many times in the past, it's not a new phenomenon. In the distant past, all of the mediteranean sea even dried up several times.

Reply to
Bod

[like]
Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Don't confuse climate and plate tectonics.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Doesn't matter what the cause is. Things change all by themselves.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Article is complete bollix. Krakatoa eruption involved millions of tons of material into the atmosphere and was a temporary event.

Global climate will be a self curing event. If it happens, lots of people are gonna die. This will fix the problem. We just need to make sure it's other people and not us/our children.

Reply to
harryagain

Dinosaurs died out long before we came on the scene. (Hundreds of millions of years) The atmosphere was not that different then.

It was different in the carboniferous era. But it was not breathable to us.

Did you ever go to school?

Reply to
harryagain

They are inextricably linked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eh?

Never mind, they will never get anyone to believe them unless it actually happens.. grin. However these people tend to discredit science and that is the real danger here. If we ignore all science we might get caught napping when things do go pear shaped in other ways. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Climate change believers remind me of religious nuts.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Yes it was, how do you think the plants were big enough to sustain such huge animals?

Do you seriously think a bit more CO2 would stop us breathing air successfully? Moron. As long as we have about 20% oxygen, we'll be fine. Not even the climate change believing nitwits have ever suggested we're going to have trouble breathing.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I used to in London in the mid 70s. last time I saw the milky way was when I was in Greece 2002, time before that cornwall 2000.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have seen the milky way from central Manchester shortly after a cold front had passed and the air had been washed clean by heavy rain. In modern over lit cities that is really the only time you stand a chance.

You have to be somewhere out of direct line of street lights and insecurity lights to stand any chance at all. About two minutes of dark adaption is enough to start to see it in the brightest Cygnus region.

Reply to
Martin Brown