OT? Tyre pressures

We have a Galaxy, IIRC it has three suggestions (load related rather than performance/eco related).
To the OP's pont, whilst it's true that to high a pressure will increase tyre wear in the centre, I think that will be for significantly higher pressures, not a few psi
--
Chris French

On 31/01/2015 12:20, Chris French wrote:

That few psi is a 25% increase
Malcolm

Only if much higher than required for the load.
Which is why there are generally two figures given - one for light running, one for fully laden.
Generally, the higher one is to cover the possibility of running at a continuous high speed at full load.
A too low pressure can cause a heavily loaded tyre to overheat and fail. Too high may cause uneven wear. So it's better to err on the high side.
--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Why don't tyres come pre-loaded with air? Then there'd be no chance of a mistake.
Bill

They do, but the makers are so stingy it isn't enough
--
Chris French

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 20:21:33 +0000, Chris French

They used to put the full amount in but over the years they found inflation has reduced their profit.
G.Harman
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

<Groan>
--
bert

Just make the tyres out of solid rubber. That can't leak.
--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.

Then you want the "tweel"
http://onemansblog.com/2007/08/31/michelin-tweel-the-airless-tire/

You can get puncture proof bike tyres made out of a pressurised rubber foam. They're heavier and have a greater rolling resistance than conventional tyres, but can be worth it for some people.
Cheers
--
Syd

On Friday, 30 January 2015 17:36:21 UTC, Malcolm Race wrote:

How will rigidity affect the wheel rims? If they are low profile, aluminium wheels I would go for the higher value. If you have potholes in your area, that could save a lot of money.