OT - TV - The Real Hustle

Anyone else find it frighteningly irresponsible?

If I was criminally inclined I would get some good tips from it. As a normal person I cannot possibly feel 'warned' by everything shown.

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

no

watched a few - got bored

moved on

Reply to
geoff

I think most of the so called scams they show are very unlikely...like the laptop at the airport scam. This was clearly made up to make an episode. It involved the conman getting next to the victim at the metal detector, with exactly the same laptop bag and then managing to swap the two bags over....Highly unlikely, especially as it would mean the conman would need to have an airline ticket and be prepared to commit a crime at the most secure location in the country.

Quite good tv though!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Decker

Not really...

Its the old question of "full disclosure" Vs "security via obscurity" again. The latter rarely works, the former needs responsible handling.

I am sure there are some scams for which people will be warned. Yes they may give some people ideas, but if you are that way inclined you would probably find other sources of similar information anyway (or failing that, come up with much the same stuff with a bit of imagination).

Reply to
John Rumm

And many people who could be warned by it probably won't watch it.

I wonder if it's shown in prison, and if the producers get letters from cons complaining about inaccuracy?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Personally I find security through obscurity works extremely well.

Its very hard to say when an approaching is successful: Its only its lack of success that shows up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't care! Jessica Jane Clement.

gnash....NURSE!

Reply to
R D S

The car wax thread is thataway -->

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

>>> Sob, gnash....NURSE!

I expect its not his car he was hoping she would polish...

Reply to
John Rumm

That is the best reason for watching.

Reply to
John

When watching such elaborate crimes, I always think of how Murphy would intervene just as he does with DIY jobs. E.g.

Script: Jewel thief defeats museum security system by dangling from a rope stuck to the ceiling by a rubber sucker.

Murphy's version: In the unlikely event that the rubber sucker would actually stick to the ceiling, the plaster wouldn't take the weight.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Not really, I wouldn;t bet a car house or boat on whether or not a a stranger in a pub bets me he can do X or Y with a glass and a peanut. If you want to bet a few drink, and you lose you learn something hopefully, most of teh pub tricks are quite fun and mostly harmless. A lot of the other cons are conninggreedy peole anyway those that expect a great deal for virtually nothing. Of course the portable cash machine scam could be more serious but has it ever happened ?

You might start to realise that conman are cleverer than the person being conned, now that is a worry.

The only interesting point is whether showing such things increases this type of crime.

Reply to
whisky-dave

There's a hood ornament joke in there somewhere...

Reply to
R D S

No.

The criminals already know all of this.

Reply to
Huge

Simplest similar example I am aware of (that actually happened) was a bloke dressed up as a security guard, with a money bag on a small trolley. He setup outside a bank with a night safe, and stuck a notice over the safe saying "out of order". Just waited for the business punters to turn up to deposit the days takings, explained that the safe was knackered, and hence he was there to look after the money. Needless to say he certainly did!

Reply to
John Rumm

The real hustle did that some months ago.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well I didn't. I think I'd make a good crim..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Always a fresh supply of people with criminal intentions coming in through the tunnel. Good that we give them tip on pick-pocketing and other skills.

Reply to
John