OT: TV Repair??

dennis@home laid this down on his screen :

Our plasma has a very dark black. With the room in complete darkness and a completely dark scene, you see absolutely no light at all. Under the same conditions the light from our LCD screen is very obvious.

I notice no appreciable difference between the bright of the plasma and the bright of our LCD.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You'd normally totally lose one (or more) colour totally with a SCART cable not fully plugged in. Which gives more than a 'tinge'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats mostly a function of the way LCD's are backlit.

But they are in general more power hungry - plasmas. Run bloody hot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No TV did not move. Switched on (via TV button not remote) and the picture was pink coulored all over.

Still the same in the morning after a long time to "cool down and recover". I think (hopefully) the TV is cattled!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Well you wouldn't it should be the same as powered off.

Yes, fortunately most people keep the lights on and then there is more reflected light. Just like in a cinema where light leaks through the film.

Settings? Are they on maximum? Try viewing them in bright light and see which is best.

Basically, if you want to view in the dark get a crt or plasma, in room light either, in brightness lcd from a brightness point of view. Actual perceived quality is down to you.

Reply to
dennis

Nothing more true than that last sentence. I've been in homes where the owners of a brand new LCD tv are crowing about the picture quality and, IMO, it's bloody awful - strange smoothly pink faces, no detail whatsoever in black areas, etc. Although it has to be said that a lot is down to poor setting up. Sky had a superb setting up feature that downloaded with 'Sky Anytime' on HD - but there are such mini progs on many DVD's.

Everyone to their own - personally I prefer plasmas - and Panasonic plasmas at that. Yes they are more power hungry - but the contrast levels are high, there is bags of detail in dark areas, and the picture is simply more 'natural' than lcd's (IMO!!). The picture quality on my Pana 37" is excellent on standard digital transmissions - and superb on HD. Panasonic regularly feature as best buys in Home Cinema mags.

DIY

Reply to
DIY

Have you followed my advice?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I made sure ALL the scarts were plugged in at both ends and still the same pink tinge to the whole picture. I am pretty sure the TV is broken and I am just waiting for SWMBO to say she is sick of looking at a pink picture! Tomorrow is Friday so a telly shopping trip is beconning on Sat/Sun.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

That wasn't my advice. It needs the grey scale adjusted - that's all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Leave him be Dave, he's using the (probably fixable) pink tinge as hook to hang the spending a couple of grand on a power hungry 42" plasma screen.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

.. and hoping that his wife doesn't read Usenet while holding a carving knife.

Reply to
Andy Hall

dennis@home explained on 05/06/2008 :

I never found CRT's very satisfactory in a really dark room. The dark scenes being swamped by the minimum black. I was amazed by the black level of plasma when we first got ours.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

DIY formulated the question :

The one failure I do notice on the plasma is the banding effect where there is a large area of smooth transition of tones or colour.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That simply doesn't make sense. The pictures from the cameras are adjusted on CRT monitors and that includes the dark tones. If you're losing detail there your set is not adjusted correctly.

Amazed by the lack of it, presumably?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fed from an analogue source derived before any transmission MPEG crap can get at the signal?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's just a shame that CRT sets knock spots off of both technologies, and always will ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

When you go looking at your potential new tellies, make sure that you get the salesman to demo it to you on a 'real' off-air picture at standard resolution. I have noticed that the current trend is to have these LCDs and plasmas set up in HD mode, and running from a Blu Ray demo disc in a Blu Ray DVD player. This gives a misleadingly 'good' (relatively speaking) picture. When you get it home, and start running it in non-native standard resolution from an off-air Freeview or satellite or terrestrial analogue signal, you may be very disappointed. Also, take into consideration, when choosing a set, that an 'HD Ready' sticker on it might be meaningless in terms of Freeview, since Ofcom have now decided that the additional bandwidth that was going to be allocated to allow a (limited) number of HD transmissions within a multiplex, is now not going to be, and a different form of compression is now being mooted by them, as the answer to cramming these channels into the existing allocation. As this different compression scheme will not be directly compatible with the existing 'readiness' of these sets, the manufacturers are understandably somewhat distressed by this move ...

Look at

instance, or put "Ofcom and Freeview HD" into Google or whatever.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

And is that likely to change? The adjustment on CRT, that is.

Reply to
Rod

Up until recently I would have agreed with you 100% - but digital technology is advancing so fast that there are a few, and I admit just a few, flat panel sets that are now as good as the best CRTs.

Up until switching to the Panasonic plasma I had a Philips pixel plus CRT - always highly regarded and well reviewed with comments such as "The closest you'll get to HD with a standard set." But there are drawbacks with CRT technology - not least the difficulty in maintaining accurate convergence across the entire screen. This means that on even the best CRT tv's there is invariably colour fringing around white objects (particulary text) at the outer edges of the screen. This usually becomes even more obvious the larger the screen.

My son still uses a Philips pixel plus set and so I have the opportunity to regularly compare the picture quality on my Panasonic plasma set with his crt set. I can say with confidence that the picture quality on my Panasonic is superior in almost every way bar one - the occasional 'staggering' of diagonal lines on my set (which is really only visible and noticeable from close up). Of course, when receiving a HD signal from my Sky HD box there is no comparison at all - the plasma screen wins hands down!

DIY

Reply to
DIY

That sounds like it wasn't adjusted properly. You turn the contrast to minimum and set the black level using the brightness control, then you set the white level using the contrast control. The two should not interact (changing either shouldn't affect the other), if it does the set is poor quality. On a lot they did interact and it was difficult to get a good picture, not always the cheap sets either.

Reply to
dennis