OT : TV licensing - must I compy?

John, Of course you don't have to compy. Why should you?

And remember that this is a time when many people go away for short breaks so make sure to check whether your neighbours will be away. If so this is an ideal time to check their garden for any garden tools, kid's toys etc which they may have left out . Easy pickings not to be missed.

Don't let people put you off by saying it is petty thieving . We may be petty thieves but there are a lot of us about.

Reply to
joedoe

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:55:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" strung together this:

It doesn't have to be in your house, you could buy it as a present for or on behalf of someone else.

Reply to
Lurch

Then, presumably it would still be in it's wrappings, not to mention the fact that you would have a receipt showing that you had only just bought the set....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

now pay attention.......

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

^^^^^^^^^^^^ by making sure that neither the television

The key is to have reasonable grounds to prove that you do not use the TV to watch programs on.

Siting it where there is obviously no aerial, and where it won't work with rabbits ears, is a simple solution.

The license is for reception of broadcast material, not ownership of one or more TV's.

And PC's used as Internet receivers via webcasst etc DO need a license too... .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not true.

No, you must have reasonable evidence to show that you don''t use it.

Thats all. The burden of proof is on them to prove that you do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wrong.

You ahve to show reasonable grounds to support your assertion that it is not used, not that it cannot be used.

Actually merely saying 'I don't use not for TV use' is enough. The burden of proof is on them.

However expect then back with a warrant aat coronation street time if you do...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, you don't have to, but it helps destroy their case.

Otherwise its your word against theirs, and most likely any magistrate will feel that you should have one. very few magistrates know the law.

You could take it to a high court of course, but that is expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Especially with modern low power sets, where its not a couple if giant kilowatt valves radiating the TV IF along the street.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Used to be possible to pick up the local oscillator with valve sets.

Its tends to leak out of the antenna anyway.

With modern sets at the arse end of a booster and loft mounted antenna, inside a house covered in wire mesh, I'd be interested to know if it would work here.

Mind you, with all that gear dedicated to receiving TV, its not likely I could make a case is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Innocent until proven guilty is the thesis.

OK its not a criminal offence, so its merely the burden of evidence being most likley to point etc. etc.

In orher words, would an ordeinary man in teh street, walking into your house and turning ion teh TV, discover a station or would he have to do somethig like find an earila lead, or tune the set up etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Welcome to Blind Mans Bluff.

If you read the papers, you will doscover that is recisely waht is going through teh courts rght now.

man with Army penknife in briefcase arrested for possessing and offensive weapon.

However, its merely the weight of evidence. If the set looks like it isn't and has'nty and would take a bit of effort to make it suiatble for receiving, teh case is not pursuable.

If its plugged in, tuned in, with a set top aerial on it, then the magistrate is going to say 'pull the other one'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not plugging an earial in is adequate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its advisable to have a cast iron situation like that, but its enough to show that it could not be readly available to be used.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Replace 'can't' with 'can't easily'

An sliced orange can receive TV broadcast, with suitable extra hardware...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had the opportunity to look through the windows of one parked in a layby once.

Inside there were light blue Formica worktops and instrument panels that looked as though they had come from a 50s kitchen.

On the panel, there were some old switches and meters and an altimeter from a WW2 aircraft. Presumably this was used to check the height of people's antennas.

There were some clipboards and the remains of several visits to the chippy.

Presumably it fooled some people.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That will be the next thing to happen.

Cars capable of more than 50mph will be banned from suburbia.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

why not?

You have to pay taxes to support free education, if you are childless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Me too.

I rebuilt my house and lived somewhere else for a while, so din';t bother to renew the license during the rebuild.

I bought a new telly and gave the old address as I assumed it was for huarante etc.

Letters started arriving and continued sporadically for 18 months. All went in the bin.

No one ever turned up to check, or if they did they went away again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LO as wel. LO is more of a givewway as it shows what its tuned to.

Needs a fanct DF aerial and a spectrum analyser though.

Much cjeaper to simply put an aerial on a van and cruise the streets stopping by every address not on the database..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher