OT: Traffic monitoring cables across road

I agree. They seemed to last a very long time now.

With regard to the stationary vehicles...I always understod that the tubes worked well because a stationary vehicle would not compress the tube completely; thus another vehicle passing across the tube, further along, would still generate an impulse.

Reply to
Bob Eager

One pneumatic tube is used for counting vehicles and two for counting+speed. And the little grey stand-on-the-ground electronic boxes used to be made by a company called Golden River in Bicester.

I've just had a look. They are still there, now at , and now with a range of vehicle spotting and identification systems that are positively Big Brother.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Yes, but is there any evidence that the equipment actually does anything with that stationary-vehicle information? Time after time I see traffic lights halting the traffic flow in order to allow non-existent traffic to cross.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

The council put them out on the road for a couple of months if the locals start campagning for a pelican crossing for instance.

Then they say the results demonstrate whatever the council want them to demonstrate.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thats to increase the congestion, and hence justify the *next* set of traffic lights..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is because they can't guarantee to detect all traffic types so they have the odd short change to allow for it. The other major cause is some kid sticking the button in on the pedestrian crossing.

Reply to
dennis

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:59:54 GMT someone who may be Caecilius wrote this:-

Depends on why the recorder is installed.

Speed cameras are no more nefarious than any other way of catching criminals.

Reply to
David Hansen

But they only catch stupid criminals.. they need to be hidden to catch the ones that are awake.

Reply to
dennis

They only catch the careless. They do nothing to catch deliberate law breakers. They won't be driving a car that belongs to them otr has valid plates on anyway.

The radar activated speed limit signs are far more effective in slowing the mostly law abiding motorist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:14:43 +0100 someone who may be "dennis@home" wrote this:-

Unobservant criminals.

The criminals made a fuss and party politicians listened to the "representatives" of the criminals.

Reply to
David Hansen

The police around here use them for that purpose with manned speed traps.

Reply to
<me9

We've got one of these up as a traffic counter, to provide data of likely use of a proposed car park. The tubes have a brass stopper with a small (about 1/16th") hole in the end, to allow for atmospheric changes I guess. They are very inaccurate at slow speeds.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Law abiding motorists do not need to slow down. In any case, those signs are only more effective at slowing drivers within a relatively small geographic area, for a short time. Points on the licence have a much longer term effect over a wider area.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:30:44 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar" wrote this:-

Indeed.

Indeed. It appears that the number of criminals with points on their driving licence is beginning to have an effect. Many such criminals do appear to have moderated their criminal behaviour somewhat.

Obviously some are very determined to continue in their criminal ways no matter what, but even so this should not be allowed to hide the fact that many criminals have moderated their criminal behaviour.

Reply to
David Hansen

Would you like to explain more about that - like which "them" you mean, exactly how they use them; and if somebody is prosecuted, what actually measured the speed?

Reply to
Ian White

I know of five on my daily run to school and work:

One on the esplanade One on the A2 london road in strood Three on the wainscott bypass (A228 I think)

Don't get me started :-)

Reply to
Caecilius

There is a speed trap that consists of two sensors that are stretched across the road like the census devices. It doesn't work in the same way and is accurate provided they use the distance stick to get the spacing.

Reply to
dennis

Interesting - thank you.

Reply to
Ian White

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:33:03 +0100, Mike Barnes mused:

Some sets of lights will turn to red if you are over the speed limit to slow you down.

Reply to
Lurch

Not been there recently

Watling Street?