OT the telephone network

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes?

Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Pretty sure BT keep that info to themselves.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't think is generally available, for security. The local council may have the info for road works. As for discusion uk.telecom is appropriate.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

uk.telecom

Not that all that information is available.

This is quite interesting but you have to click around a lot and try stuff out. Using a postcode for searches eventually gives you cabinates for each road, and various maps.

But you will NOT get detail - BT don't publish it, and judging by some engineers' behaviour, BT don't actually know it any more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

For Openreach I doubt it exists or if it does it'll only be partial and/or out of date and not publically available. Exchange locations are a POP to find. You can easily find if a given line is via a cabinet (and it's number) or direct to the exchange. You might also be able to find a vague location of the cabinet.

If you are only looking for your local area the Mark 1 eyeball is your best research tool. Cabinets are obvious. Ducted routes have a chamber every 200 yds or so, though if in a roadside verge the covers may well be hidden under 6" of soil and overgrowth... Non-ducted routes you'll be looking for joint posts and/or small chambers. Then it's a case of "join the dots" running out from the exchange. This is probably easier to do in rural areas.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

you're asking for the black helicopters to come and take you away.

Reply to
charles

Samknows will give the exchange position and as the crow flies distance from it as well as the telephone services/broadband carried but no routing/cabinets details.

alan_m

I think Angus readily admits the cabinet 'locations' are just centres of postcode areas because the BT data he works from doesn't provide actual locations, so for guidance only ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

He's probably been taken by men in white coats already.

Reply to
Martin

and every experience of interfacing with a BT engineer that you have will prove to you that what they do have,

is wrong

tim

Reply to
tim...

In addition to the 2 urls already given :-

and

#############

Another usefule site is :-

alan

I meant to mention that. Personal experience shows exactly that, but I have never found the cabinets hard to find once I know the postcode.

Google Streetview does the 'walk' quite quickly!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Round here the broadbandy ones have the number on them in yellow paint.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If you want to make sure your cabinet isn't anywhere undesirable you can have your own cable direct from the exchange to your white slimline push-button telephone with last number redial.

You'll pay extra for it though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In my experience even the old cabinets have the number on them, so you know when you've found the right one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 05:50:42 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

A pearl-white slim-line telephone with automatic redial facility.

Reply to
Graham.

What you mean dog groomers?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I wish they would. I'm fed up of DIY.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So am I, but it's been two christmases since I took the old kitchen out and I really need to get round to putting a new one in.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog