OT - The Radar Museum, Neatishead, Norfolk

Well worth a visit.

spent a very interesting 3-4 hours there. Lots to see, and almost certain to be of interest to many posters in this forum. Some very knowledgeable volunteers there as well.

Cleared up one little thing that had always been beyond my limited electronics theory from many years ago, pulse-echo time compared to speed of rotation of the aerial.

Several rooms had that smell of bakelite and varnish used on old equipment, R1154/R1155 anyone......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Nectar of the gods.

Did they have the feint smell of Jeyes used to sanitise the floors?

Reply to
Andy Hall

That would be T1154/R1155 I think.

Lovely big coloured knobs (oo-er)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Shame it's where it is. Mother worked at TRE (Malvern) during WW2 and I am sure she would love to visit. But it's a long way for her.

Reply to
Rod

The 1154 was the transmitter of the pair thus T1154.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On a marginally related subject is a valve oscilloscope made by "Waveforms, radar works" likely to be of interest to a collector?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

On the subject of old tat (if you'll excuse the hijack)

I'll probably be throwing out a couple of Superbrain computers next week unless anybody wants them ?

Reply to
geoff

A *real* centre of excellence. Nnow a well known supermarket - or at least a public enterprise of some sort - goes by a stupid PR name of qinetqintiqinttinttiqqiti or something. I knew it was all up when the the relatively recent boss of the place was actively encouraging public time sharing on their computers! Sorry OT.

Reply to
jake

Local school ? Might be useful for showing how it *used* to be before 'tinternet ;-)

Otherwise

Angle Grinder ;-)

Reply to
RW

Qinetiq (pronounced kinetic), the defence/security bods?

Reply to
Lino expert

Thought immediately I had posted - someone will think I meant RRE (Royal Radar Establishment) - but at the time it was Travel Round England.

(Pretty good apologising for being OT in an OT thread. :-) )

Reply to
Rod

//snip//

jim

DIYBanter is leeching off this newsgroup and making money out of us. People using DIYBanter should realise that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've x-posted this to somewhere they may be loved.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

OK - my email is valid

Reply to
geoff

Why not auction it and see. Even old 2M valve scopes are still quite usable as 2nd scopes for less demanding apps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222